Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.2 Breaks Siri Hands Free

I have a 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat with the Sony/MyFordTouch system (aka MFT 2, navigation, etc.) The latest version of the MFT software from Ford (3.8) added Siri Hands Free. I installed this in our truck soon after purchase in October and it has functioned perfectly since.

However, after installing iOS 9.2, I discovered a problem. Let's say I am listening to Sirius satellite radio. I invoke Siri Hands Free (SHF) by depressing the Voice button for 3 seconds. Siri comes up and asks me what I want to do. I do whatever (respond to a text message, ask for information, it doesn't matter) and Siri complies. After SHF is done ... it reverts to BT Audio, not to Sirius radio!! It did not do this prior to iOS 9.2. It properly reverted to whatever audio source was in use at the time that SHF was invoked. Since the system worked well prior to iOS 9.2, this looks more like an Apple issue than a Ford issue.

I did discover a workaround ... I can go into the iPhone connection properties on the MFT and disable BT Audio. When I do this, SHF works properly (that is, it reverts to the audio source in use.) This workaround is OK for me as I usually use a USB connection for listening to music on my iPhone, but I do believe Apple should correct this defect so SHF works properly.

Cheers!!

Ken

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 15, 2015 7:22 AM

7 replies

Dec 17, 2015 7:59 AM in response to MinMan3

I have the same issue with iOS 9.2. In my case as soon as i press the Siri button (on Ford Edge with MFT) for 3 seconds my BT Audio stream starts. Even if I press the home button on my iPhone 6, the BT Audio stream also starts. Prior to iOS 9.2, Siri worked perfectly with the MFT system.

I do not use the BT Audio stream either and will try to disable it in the MFT.

It is clear to me that this is an Apple problem which followed from the iOS 9.2 update. I don't believe it is intentional as I cannot understand why anyone would want to use the Siri button to start the audio stream without first giving that instruction to Siri.

Dec 19, 2015 7:02 AM in response to ethandow

I have the same issue but also with one additional problem. 2013 Ford Escape with MFT 3.8 successfully installed. iPhone 6 with latest update. My problem is same as above BUT in addition, SIRI will not always be invoked. Spent quite a bit of time with Ford Sync "expert" attempting to resolve with no success. I specifically asked the person if they were aware of the BT issue and they were not. I was told by the Ford Sync folks to take the car to the dealer.

Everything else works correctly on sync. I just cannot reliably invoke SIRI and when I do, it changes my media input to BT from USB (iPod). I am attempting to try the BT workaround above but have not yet been able to invoke SIRI to see if it works.

Dec 19, 2015 8:05 AM in response to ralph7up

I MAY HAVE RESOLVED THE PROBLEM! I read elsewhere on an apple forum that Siri would not work in a person's bmw but that he corrected it by switching Siri in the phone off and then turning it back on.

I just tried this on my Escape.

1. Started car.
  2. Verified phone, media, etc. all worked.
  3. Verified that Siri would not work.
  4. Switched Siri off and then back on on the phone when in the Escape.
  5. Succesfully invoked Sync and then successfully invoked Siri.

I plan to check again.

iOS 9.2 Breaks Siri Hands Free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.