Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spell check in Mac VO

In a TextEdit document with known spelling errors, trying to discover VO commands to:

• Navigate to 'Spelling and Grammar' window
  • Navigate button and field choices within window
  • Scroll and select the proper substitution from the suggested list

Using OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan -- trying to assist blind friend who is _very_ familiar with VO.

But neither of us have been able to find the right VO commands to substitute for misspelled words.

What are we missing?

Thanks in advance for the kind help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1600 MHz

Posted on Dec 15, 2015 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2015 1:47 PM

I don't have much experience with VO on OS X yet, but I tried to figure it out. This is what I found worked for me.

Way 1:

First press: Command ; to find the miss spelled word(s)

Then: Caps Lock - Shift - M You will hear “A menu of X items”. Use the down arrow to navigate the menu. When you hear the replacement word you want hit Control-Option-Space.

Way 2:

You can use Caps Lock - Shift - M to bring up a menu from anywhere in the document. When you do this you should hear “menu of X items” again use the down arrow to navigate. The Spelling and Grammar submenu is the 5th or 6th item on that list.

I found that I was able to use the normal VO commands in the Spelling and Grammar window (for me that was Caps Lock and the arrow keys). To close the menu when I was done with corrections esc worked.

-AJ

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2015 1:47 PM in response to Michael Sidoric

I don't have much experience with VO on OS X yet, but I tried to figure it out. This is what I found worked for me.

Way 1:

First press: Command ; to find the miss spelled word(s)

Then: Caps Lock - Shift - M You will hear “A menu of X items”. Use the down arrow to navigate the menu. When you hear the replacement word you want hit Control-Option-Space.

Way 2:

You can use Caps Lock - Shift - M to bring up a menu from anywhere in the document. When you do this you should hear “menu of X items” again use the down arrow to navigate. The Spelling and Grammar submenu is the 5th or 6th item on that list.

I found that I was able to use the normal VO commands in the Spelling and Grammar window (for me that was Caps Lock and the arrow keys). To close the menu when I was done with corrections esc worked.

-AJ

Spell check in Mac VO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.