Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remotely connect to my mac without sharing my screen

Hi,

I have a Mac at work to which I occasionally connect from another Mac at home. Now I would love to export the applications similar to Windows where I just set the display to another device. The workstation should either stay locked, similar to when connecting to a Window machine with MS Remote Desktop.

I am using the latest version of Yosemite and Apple Remote Desktop

Kindly advice

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2015 11:21 AM

1 reply

Dec 15, 2015 6:32 PM in response to evanios

OS X does not do what you want. You get Screen Sharing, and you do not need the Apple Remote Desktop, which is intended for managing a classroom full of Macs, not just accessing your Mac at work.

If you leave your Mac logging into another app with a locked screen, then you can use Apple's built-in Back-to-My-Mac to connect to another account that will not take over the screen nor be visible inside the office.

When you are at work, you can use the OS X Fast User Switching to switch over to your normal account, and when you leave for the day, week, month, whatever, you use Fast User Switching to go back to the account you use as a place holder.

remotely connect to my mac without sharing my screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.