Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager re-pushing apps; Update Info causes repeated push of only some apps; loop, same occurrs every check-in

Anybody else experiencing apps re-pushing at every check-in?

The "push" happens fast, so it seems like it's just checking if the apps are there, and receiving the answer "yes", and then saying "succeeded". But it does this every time.

I've experienced this with various groups of iPads, various groups of apps.

The first time I ran into this, there was a group of 3 apps that kept re-pushing to a group of 30 iPads. The apps that were "re-pushing" would actually NOT launch (launch for a split second but disappear). After some troubleshooting, I found that "Kahn Academy" was the culprit. I removed Kahn academy manually from the iPads and also from the profile. I also removed the other 2 apps. Then I re-added the other 2 apps. After that it worked fine and I never attempted to load Kahn Academy again.

Currently I have another group of 36 iPads which were freshly configured and fine last week. I checked and double-checked that I was able to update info on all of them and have NO extra app pushing. But then this week, several apps keep trying to push again. My only theory is that those apps were possibly updated and it's trying to push the update over and over again.

Any insight you have as to how to troubleshoot and fix this is very welcome!

iPad Air, iOS 9.2, Server 5.0.15 El Capitan 10.11.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2015 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2016 11:29 AM

I discovered that indeed if the apps are left on "Automatic" instead of "manual" updates are pushed out. The main problem with this is that often the app is currently open on a user's iPad. When the update is released, it automatically attempts to push, and the user is prompted with a message saying the app wants to update. If the user selects yes, it quits the app and presumably the update is complete and they can relaunch the app. However they may select cancel or later (I can't remember what the "no" option is called). Also in a classroom setting, the iPads may not be used for a few days and may therefore stay in the in-between stage with the prompt displaying and no user input. Various anomalies can result.

I've found that leaving the apps on "automatic" invariably results in some apps failing to install properly or becoming corrupt. The "Push" will register as "successful", but the app will quit immediately on launch. Every time you "update info" it will attempt the push again, same result.

To fix, delete the app from the iPad manually, and re-push the app.

Also, note that if you have assigned the apps through a group, you still CAN go to the individual device record in profile manager and manually push the app to just the 1 device.

Also, note (in case you didn't know), when the app is "pushed", what is happening is that the server is telling the iPad to download a copy from the app store. So the server itself is not technically pushing the app, it's pushing the download command. (if your OS X server is caching also, then it's possible it does eventually send the actual app data, however the download command still treats the iPad as an independent client connecting to the app store).

Also, note that Profile Manager will NOT list the app in the "remove app" dialog of a group if any of it's members have not truly "succeeded" to install the app. This makes remote removal difficult if the app is stuck in limbo (thinking it's installed but quits on launch). You have to remove it manually on the problem iPads.

My general rule now is to leave all apps in "manual" mode, and then schedule updates periodically. Prior to the scheduled update, make sure that the users have quit all open apps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2016 11:29 AM in response to koasiu

I discovered that indeed if the apps are left on "Automatic" instead of "manual" updates are pushed out. The main problem with this is that often the app is currently open on a user's iPad. When the update is released, it automatically attempts to push, and the user is prompted with a message saying the app wants to update. If the user selects yes, it quits the app and presumably the update is complete and they can relaunch the app. However they may select cancel or later (I can't remember what the "no" option is called). Also in a classroom setting, the iPads may not be used for a few days and may therefore stay in the in-between stage with the prompt displaying and no user input. Various anomalies can result.

I've found that leaving the apps on "automatic" invariably results in some apps failing to install properly or becoming corrupt. The "Push" will register as "successful", but the app will quit immediately on launch. Every time you "update info" it will attempt the push again, same result.

To fix, delete the app from the iPad manually, and re-push the app.

Also, note that if you have assigned the apps through a group, you still CAN go to the individual device record in profile manager and manually push the app to just the 1 device.

Also, note (in case you didn't know), when the app is "pushed", what is happening is that the server is telling the iPad to download a copy from the app store. So the server itself is not technically pushing the app, it's pushing the download command. (if your OS X server is caching also, then it's possible it does eventually send the actual app data, however the download command still treats the iPad as an independent client connecting to the app store).

Also, note that Profile Manager will NOT list the app in the "remove app" dialog of a group if any of it's members have not truly "succeeded" to install the app. This makes remote removal difficult if the app is stuck in limbo (thinking it's installed but quits on launch). You have to remove it manually on the problem iPads.

My general rule now is to leave all apps in "manual" mode, and then schedule updates periodically. Prior to the scheduled update, make sure that the users have quit all open apps.

May 4, 2016 8:26 PM in response to Bosco1983

having the same issue here

'brand new' Mac server, latest everything - El Cap + Server

Nothing carried over from previous installation

the only thing that is setup on server is: Profile Manager, Open Directory, and Caching Server

Caching server is working perfectly

Ipads have been completely wiped, and reloaded, and a basic blueprint applied in Configurator 2 (Wifi Cert/Proxy, Trust Cert, and Enrolment)

Ipad happily appears in Profile manager, goes to the designated group, from the Enrollment profile, and apps assigned happily download

If I go to do another Ipad, then randomly, a few of the apps will attempt to be pushed out again to various ipads. The app was definitely loaded previously... runs without issue on the Ipad, and the ipad wasn't in use, at the time of the 're-push' (they are all sitting here on my desk!)

I am doing this at a Primary School, and doing all apps via Device assignment. So there is no user account on any ipad

Setting the apps to manual is what I consider a workaround, I would prefer not to have to manually remember which apps I've pushed out

Oct 18, 2016 11:06 PM in response to Samyb777

I have the same issue at our K-12 educational institution. I've tried disabling our caching server and pushing apps to a device group with no restrictions. No success. Like others, the problem affects a limited number of apps: Pages, Keynote, iMovie, Numbers and Teaching Number Lines.

I did spot this Profile Manager randomly pushing apps and followed the steps, however despite successfully setting a first_push_date value, the column was cleared whenever the device was updated and the problem remained 😟

Profile Manager re-pushing apps; Update Info causes repeated push of only some apps; loop, same occurrs every check-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.