Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade from snow lion server to el capitan

I have a mid 2010 mini server with Intel Core 2 duo hard drives. On one HD I have Lion (non-server). I no longer use the server. It is basically 500 gb wasted. I want to delete the server software and install El Capitan. This is so I can partition the (hopefully) former server disk drive and install bootcamp so I can run windows 8.1. Snow leopard server does not have bootcamp, and besides, I am uncomfortable with having windows on the same drive as the server. I had the Lion OS partitioned to do this, and stoopidly updated windows, which killed that boot. So I restored the Lion HD to one partition running only Lion. My question is: As part of the El Capitan install, will I be able to erase the (server) drive for a clean install?

Thanks.

Mac mini Server (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 16, 2015 3:10 PM

2 replies

Dec 17, 2015 3:04 AM in response to sufrie

"Snow Leopard does not have bootcamp . . ."

It came with OS X only and not OS X Server. Even if you managed to copy Bootcamp to your server it won't install/run/work. It's not supported by 10.6 Server and never has been.

"As part of the El Capitan install, will I be able to erase the (server) drive for a clean install?"

Provided you've partitioned the drive - it sounds like you have - yes.

upgrade from snow lion server to el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.