Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Recovery no disk to choose

Hello, Apple Support Community

I recently have to do an OS X recovery for my 17" Macbook Pro, but I've seen to hit a rock in a every way possible. The reason for doing the OS X recovery was because I did a RAW camera update for the El Capitan upgrade (Mind you, the first time I installed El Capitan on my computer it wrecked it the same way, don't know why I tried it again) and sure enough, after I did the update, my computer started running real slow after a few hours, some times freezing completely.

I restarted it a few times to no avail and then all of a sudden, I had the blinking question mark folder screen. So upon doing the OS X recovery I was gonna reinstall OS X Lion, but upon verifying and agreeing to the terms, there's no disk to choose from. I quit the install and went to Disk Utility, I have 3 side-bar options (Superdrive, disk0, Mac OS X Base System). I can only do First Aid, but I can't delete or restore anything. For the Select a Backup Source option, it continuely searches for a Time Machine backup, but since I don't remember making one, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna find one. For the "Choose Startup Disk" option, there's no disk for me to choose to restart the laptop. So, I've exhausted all the options I can think of. I'm not really Tech savy, so I don't know what to do here beyond what I've stated above.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.2.x) , I know it's Mac Os X (10...)

Posted on Dec 16, 2015 4:17 PM

8 replies

Dec 16, 2015 4:52 PM in response to Richiej1986

There are only two types of drives: Those that have died and those that will die.

Did you make *any* backups during its operational time?

Also, please tell us the year of the system and the OS that came on it, and if it was Snow Leopard do you still have your SL install disks? You will need guidance to correct drives that can replace your internal, as it would be wise to replace even if it is just a drive cable.

Dec 16, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Richiej1986

SnowLeopard = SL. Next OSXs in order are Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan.

2012 means it has at least Lion so has no physical disks and an "internet recovery" (OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support) is needed if the physical disk is dead.

No backup means you have probably lost everything on the internal drive ... sorry.

You have an option now ... do you want to replace the internal (presumed bad) drive with a less-expensive spinny drive (WD makes a reliable "Black" edition) or a faster SSD (same basic technology as a flash drive, but much faster an more reliable)?

Dec 16, 2015 6:06 PM in response to Richiej1986

Assuming your spinny disk is the original it is not unwise to replace it with new. Assuming your data is gone, it is just a few more $$ before you rebuild your OS.

macsales.com sells parts they test to work with macs.

SSDs ... "Extreme Pro" is better and longer warranty, but both are good: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

HDs: any 2.5 in format 9.5mm-tall drive will work, but WD black is a good reliable model: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western%20Digital/WD7500BPKX/

There is always still a chance that the drive cable is at fault instead of the drive. In that case removing the drive from the case (all you need is a #00 phillips screwdriver) and putting it in an external enclosure (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSTG800U3K/) to try to read it. Regardless, the external enclosure will allow you to put a backup drive of your choice in the encloure after final recovery and maintain regular backups.

OS X Recovery no disk to choose

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.