Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did iTunes automatically "check" all my purchased songs?

After recently updating to 12.3.2.35 and subsequently signing in with my apple ID to download a new album, suddenly ALL of my purchased songs ever were marked as checked and started copying to my iPhone.

I had painstakingly unchecked many of those songs over years of making decisions about which I wanted and which I didn't. Now, in an instant, all that work is gone. This is thousands of songs--no easy fix.

Why did this happen? Is there a way to undo it?

This is infuriating.

Message was edited by: AlphaZebracat

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), iOS 9.2, also affects iphone 6

Posted on Dec 16, 2015 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2016 10:51 AM

Hi,

You can uncheck all your purchased songs in one go. In iTunes, select Purchased in the sidebar, then click inside the list of songs and do Command + A to select them all. Control click there and in the dropdown menu go to the bottom and choose Uncheck selection.

I don't know a way to restore your original checks, unless it could be done with Restore from backup of iTunes in Time Machine.

Edit: You could try iTunes / Preferences / Store and uncheck the box for Music in automatic downloads.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2016 10:51 AM in response to AlphaZebracat

Hi,

You can uncheck all your purchased songs in one go. In iTunes, select Purchased in the sidebar, then click inside the list of songs and do Command + A to select them all. Control click there and in the dropdown menu go to the bottom and choose Uncheck selection.

I don't know a way to restore your original checks, unless it could be done with Restore from backup of iTunes in Time Machine.

Edit: You could try iTunes / Preferences / Store and uncheck the box for Music in automatic downloads.

Dec 17, 2015 6:36 AM in response to AlphaZebracat

i noticed this on Tuesday 12/15 when I wanted to add an album to my phone from my computer. My phone popped up with a message that it needed space for 4.2 GB. I found that weird. So I was browsing through my library and noticed there were random tracks selected that I have purchased over the year, including movies and videos. I spent an hour and a bit unselecting all these different songs, and I think I got most of them. However, last night when I was backing up my phone, I noticed that iTunes had selected songs AGAIN.

Is this a bug? I don't have apple match, I do have an Apple Music account, but I don't use iCloud library. Im so angry. Years of perfecting what music I have on my phone and it's all gone in an instant. I Guess I have to go through my library and check music I want again.... Just what I always wanted.

Dec 17, 2015 12:36 PM in response to xtophermorrison

I sent an e-mail to their support team. Apparently I had a download queue going? I don't know how that happened or what triggered it. Here is their complete response:

Hi Christopher,

We appreciate you contacting iTunes Store Support. My name is Kathleene and I am delighted to be your dedicated Advisor.

I understand that the songs you don’t want to download to your iPhone is automatically installing after your recent iTunes store update. I know you only want to make sure you have allotted enough space on your device for your other and new purchases. Rest assured I will do my best to assist you settle this matter.

Not to worry Christopher, to resolve this issue, I've removed the songs from your download queue.

Just a friendly reminder, you can have your purchases automatically downloaded from the App Store, iBooks Store, and iTunes Store on your computer, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. You can turn this feature off to make sure you can manage your downloads manually should you wish. For information about managing Automatic Downloads, please see this article:

"Turn on Automatic Downloads"

https://support.apple.com/HT202180

I hope that I am able to help you with your concern, should you need further assistance regarding the matter, please let me know. Thank you for being an iTunes Store customer. Have a nice day, Christopher.

Dec 18, 2015 8:30 PM in response to AlphaZebracat

Same exact thing happened to me. I have 21k songs with 6k checked. I now have an extra 2k checked but I didnt do it. It seems to have automatically checked all the music I purchased from the iTunes Store. I called the support line. They advised reinstalling the latest version. That didn't help. Now I have to call them back.

in the mean time, I happened to make a backup of my entire library two days ago. I deleted my current library and I am installing everything back. hopefully I am going back to a time before iTunes messed up my library.

i have been using iTunes for 10 years. Never had a single problem until now. It seems like quality control is getting worse since Steve jobs passed away.

Jan 1, 2016 11:36 PM in response to AlphaZebracat

When your iPhone is connected to your PC iTunes, tick the Purchased box and sync your iPhone.

This will upload everything you've purchased ever.

Then untick the Purchased box and sync again...they will all magically disappear off your iPhone, except for whatever you have put in any particular playlist you've made.

As the above posts have mentioned, make sure automatic downloads is turned off as well as having all of your 'options' unticked in the summary section that comes up when you're connected to your PC and make sure that none of your Music or Movies settings are on 'automatically sync'.

Hope this is of some help.

It worked with both iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2

Happy New Year

Jan 20, 2016 12:31 PM in response to AlphaZebracat

I have a similar issue. From time to time iTunes will randomly check a bunch of songs. When I go to sync my iPhone I get a message about not enough room. I have found no pattern for the randomly checked songs. It doesn't check all purchased songs. The only way I have been able to "fix" it is to uncheck all songs in my library and then re-check the ones I want. This is very time consuming and frustrating.

Jan 20, 2016 6:47 PM in response to AlphaZebracat

What eventually stopped the behavior for me was going into the iTunes store, going to "Purchased," and clicking the X's to hide all of my previous purchases. (I don't use iTunes in the cloud, and I've never needed to redownload anything because I use a backup drive, so this wasn't really an issue for me.)

After hiding all of my previous purchases, iTunes didn't have any reason to check for purchases and it stopped re-checking purchased items that I didn't want. Now, each time I buy a something new, after downloading, I immediately go into purchases and hide it.

I know this is only a hack workaround and not really an ideal solution for everyone, but it stopped the infuriating habit of iTunes rechecking hundreds of items without my consent.

Hope this helps someone else.

p.s. BTW, I actually called Apple Support and spent hours screen sharing with low-level and high-level support people. No one could explain what was happening and I was told I'd get a follow-up in a few days. That never happened.

Feb 10, 2016 9:24 PM in response to AlphaZebracat

::UPDATE:: As of 2/10/16 this is still a problem.

Back in December, I got on the phone with one Apple representative who ran into a dead end, and he then made plans to call me back at an agreed upon a time. He never did. This same representative tried to distract me by saying that the "world was changing" and that we're "moving to the cloud"... as though this were my fault for being behind the times.

That's fine and all... But what does that have anything to do with the fact that there is a glitch in their software that negates user custom settings, erasing literally years of fine tuning?

What is iTunes but the promise to have control over your music library? What was it but an music nerd's dream? What is it becoming but a sloppy hybrid of rushed out ideas, grasping at straws to stay "current"? (When other people would ask, "Why do you have a Mac?" I would say, "Because they work. Perfectly. All the time. They're so intuitive. So carefully made. Works of art.")

That's what I used to say...

I called again on my own after deciding no one was going to get back to me. On the second call, the representative told me I'd be called back by a tech representative. They left a voicemail while I was at work that left no direct means of getting back to them. This was also back in December.

I "solved" this problem by re-unchecking the desired songs, painstakingly, one by one—and I'm still frustrated. This took hours of free time over weeks and it never quite got to where I'd had it before. I was basically resigned to letting it go... until...

I went to sync my phone today and I realized that iTunes had rechecked all of my purchased songs again. Great. I've been trying to back up my computer extra frequently in the meantime, and, like others have said, I've been crossing my fingers that I can back up to a "good" version, but what kind of solution is that? Especially if this is a recurring problem...

I'm currently on hold waiting for an apple care representative to (in all likelihood) try to get on my good side by telling me he/she understands my feelings but then offer no objective assessment of the problem nor a course of action to resolve the problem.

::LIVE UPDATE:: I am on the line with an apple representative at 11:05 eastern time (After a 15 minute hold). He is empathizing with me—rephrasing my complaint and emphasizing how frustrating it must be. Asking me details about what others have said on this forum.

He just put me on a hold to reach out to a senior supervisor.

(Does he not have access to the forum? He said he "searched" for others with my issue and "it's not trending". Really? Interesting, considering Exhibit A, this thread exists and is pretty easy to find with Google. Considering Exhibit B, that when I called in (twice) in December, I clearly laid out the issue, and one would hope they filed those away somewhere useful. Considering Exhibit C, When I called, the A.I. sorting mechanism asked me if I was calling about the "same" issue as last time.)

Apple is playing the following while I'm on hold: Mark Ronson, "Uptown Funk" ... It's 11:15. CAKE, "Love You Madly"... 11:19, 11:23...

The representative got off the phone with senior adviser, he says the senior adviser knows "exactly what I'm talking about."

**** is the name of my representative--I asked him for it.

**** said his adviser said, "This is not really a problem with iTunes, and so not really something that can be fixed. It's just some settings "like cookies and stuff" that is resetting for some reason... You may be able to solve this if you uninstall and reinstall iTunes completely. But we can't guarantee that." (This is paraphrased, but I read it back to **** and gave him a chance to correct anything if I were misrepresenting him. He declined.)

I responded, "The idea that the background files ("like cookies and stuff") are resetting for a reason that Apple doesn't understand is not something I would dismiss as "not really a problem." It sounds like a pretty serious issue, something fundamentally wrong that shouldn't be minimized."

I asked for the name of the supervisor he had spoken to and asked to be connected to that supervisor. He said I cannot be connected to the supervisor because "we don't have that direct access here." **** wouldn't connect me with that supervisor directly or provide me with the name of the supervisor, nor would he give me any way to get directly in touch with that supervisor to ask followup questions. It is 11:32 p.m. eastern time. He is offering to connect me to a different supervisor.

My case ID is #1009753931. I'm on hold again.

It's 11:39. Back from hold. He says, "The senior advisers have gone home for the night." (Apparently they were there when he first reached out but had all left after I asked to speak to one of them directly... I have no way of knowing if 11:30 is the real time the supervisors punch the clock or if I was just blown off.) **** offered to have a manager call back at a time of my choosing. I told him I was hesitant because of my negative past experience. It is 11:42. I am asking one more time to be connected to someone else. He said he could set up a call back.

I asked every way I could think of (politely, if curtly) to speak to some one else directly. He stressed that the only recourse was to have someone call me back another day. I asked what would happen if they called back and I missed the call. He said they'd leave a callback number. I reminded him they didn't the first time (in December). He said "that was a tier one call." I said, "So for a tier one call, they hope you don't get back to them, but if you really insist upon it you will get a call back number?" He said, "That's correct."

11:45 p.m. Call over. They're going to call me back tomorrow at 8 p.m. I'll try to post again tomorrow night if I'm available to take the call. If I miss it because life is happening, we'll see if they leave a callback number.

I want to stress that **** was exceedingly patient and cordial. I have redacted his name because, prior to posting, it felt unnecessarily petty to call him out. (Even though I was frustrated enough to ask for his name and type it out at the time.) He was a nice guy trying his best to stick to his scripts. My problem is not with ****.

My problem is that Apple directs tech problems to nice guys who have to stick to scripts instead of technicians who would address the underlying issues.

I hope other users find this information helpful.

Feb 21, 2016 4:38 PM in response to Cunnla

Thank you so much. Honestly I am do done with the IPhone. This IPHONE 5S has been nothing but one migraine after another. How can Apple be getting worse? I use to brag about these phones and this company and all I can do now is hang my head in shame for getting another one. This will be my last.

Thank you for the help. Again I have spent another 2 hours searching the the solution to my problem with this stupid phone.

Why did iTunes automatically "check" all my purchased songs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.