Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Desktop' option gone from menu bars!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

PROCESSOR - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

MEMORY - 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OS X EL CAPITAN Vs - 10.11.1

Hi! Please can someone help me with this? I've googled for days but am still struggling!

When I want to load a file from my desktop, I am no longer given the option to do so - For example, on squarespace, I want to upload a file from my desktop, but I am only given options for my 'local server' and 'recent places'

In Adobe photoshop, I often save screenshots for reference, they load to my desktop, when I try to load them, again - I'm not given the option

(Even trying to include Screenshots was a struggle here as they're on my desktop! I had to move them to another folder to include them here!)

TLDR: My 'Desktop' option has vanished from nearly all my applications. 'Recent places' doesn't include it, and often omits actual recent places. My apps used to give me ALL options to load from, but now I am given my work server and recent places

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Please does anyone know whats up? This is the 1st time i'm considering booking myself into the Apple shop

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 17, 2015 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2015 5:19 AM

I tried dragging the desktop folder from my Finder Folder into an 'open' tab in Adobe Illustrator - it added it to my 'favourites' which I thought may solve the issue...but it didnt. Trying to attach a screenshot on here again brought up the following with No desktop option:

User uploaded file

I tried to drag the desktop folder option from my Finders folder into an 'open tab' from Adobe Illustrator, it attached itself into 'favourites' - but this only works for Illustrator - my problem is that desktop does not show as an option in ANY of my apps, so this workaround means I would have to drag the desktop option from the finder window into every single app I have, surely there's some simple option here?

User uploaded file

I have a feeling there must be some settings for 'Recent places' as that seemed to over-ride everything in the first place, not using my desktop for a while meant it thought I never needed to use it again and just removed it from my options

Is there anywhere I can adjust the 'Recent places' option or just remove it completely?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2015 5:19 AM in response to AlexDavy

I tried dragging the desktop folder from my Finder Folder into an 'open' tab in Adobe Illustrator - it added it to my 'favourites' which I thought may solve the issue...but it didnt. Trying to attach a screenshot on here again brought up the following with No desktop option:

User uploaded file

I tried to drag the desktop folder option from my Finders folder into an 'open tab' from Adobe Illustrator, it attached itself into 'favourites' - but this only works for Illustrator - my problem is that desktop does not show as an option in ANY of my apps, so this workaround means I would have to drag the desktop option from the finder window into every single app I have, surely there's some simple option here?

User uploaded file

I have a feeling there must be some settings for 'Recent places' as that seemed to over-ride everything in the first place, not using my desktop for a while meant it thought I never needed to use it again and just removed it from my options

Is there anywhere I can adjust the 'Recent places' option or just remove it completely?

Dec 17, 2015 6:34 AM in response to AlexDavy

The desktop is actually a folder located in your home folder at ~/Desktop. The long path name is /Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Desktop. Select Go from the menu bar for Finder and Desktop should be listed in the drop down menu. It can also be added back to the favorites list in the sidebar of Finder by dragging the folder in Finder to the favorites in the sidebar. We should also be able to change the settings in preferences. Select Finder in the menu bar at the top of the screen then Preferences. Click on the sidebar tab.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Dec 17, 2015 5:03 AM in response to chroot

Thanks very much for replying! Unfortunately the Finder folder itself is not the problem - its within applications itself

I did as you asked, and this is my screenshot (which I had to drag into this post, as I cant attach)

User uploaded file

however, within Photoshop for example, and within Chrome, my options still come up as this:

User uploaded file

I hope this is clear, sorry If i'm not giving more information! This is why i'm baffled, as it clearly is an option for the Finder folder, but within applications I have hardly any options at all (All those computers are because I am working in a studio with lots of other computers) Basically - I want all applications, all the time, to always give me open options from all areas, at the moment it seems to be trying to think for me and give me recent options that arent relevant?

'Desktop' option gone from menu bars!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.