Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection problem Ipod mini,model 2005 with win10

Hello there!I have an Ipod mini, model 2005, and i decided to use it again after many years.My problem is that when I connect the device with my PC (win10+itunes 12,3), it doesn't appear anywhere in my PC or in itunes.It starts charging but that's all.Is there a way to make it work, or it is old and I have to forget it? Thanks a lot!

Ipod Mini 2005

Posted on Dec 17, 2015 2:31 AM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2015 2:12 PM in response to SteliosDiamond

I have a few third-party USB docking cables, and they work fine. But whether it's an Apple cable or third-party cable, it could be faulty so that only the pins for power are making contact (not the pins for data). If it hasn't been used in a while, check it visually for any corrosion or dust. With the cable disconnected at the USB end, try plugging it into the iPod about ten times consecutively. Then try connecting the iPod to PC again.

One more thing to try. Put the iPod into Disk Mode.

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

If it goes into Disk Mode, connect it to your PC that has iTunes running. If iTunes picks it up, it may prompt you to do a Restore with a message about "recovery." A Restore erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings.

Dec 18, 2015 2:12 PM in response to SteliosDiamond

I think the likely possibilities are faulty USB docking cable (connects for power but not for data), or the equivalent problem in the iPod side of the connection. You can try a different cable if you have one or can borrow one; that would rule out faulty cable as the cause.

Another less likely possibility is a problem with your computer's USB port. If you are using a USB hub to connect, try a direct connection to computer's USB port, and confirm that port is working properly with something else, like a USB flash drive.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, you may want to make an appointment with the store's Genius Bar (tech support staff). It would not cost anything for them to examine it, and try to connect it there (take along your USB docking cable). If it works there (and they do a Restore on it), let them know you use a Windows PC, so that your iPod is not formatted for Mac.

Connection problem Ipod mini,model 2005 with win10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.