Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Recovery Mode doesn't boot in

OS X Recovery Mode doesn't boot in when I'm pressing Cmd and R commands, it goes to Internet Recovery. What do I do?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)

Posted on Dec 17, 2015 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2015 2:37 PM

Hello Felipe.l27,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that your computer is booting to Internet Recovery. Internet Recovery has all of the capabilities of an OS X Recovery partition. To learn more about why OS X Internet Recovery starts, please see the information outlined below.

OS X Internet Recovery

Newer Macs include the ability to start up directly from an Internet-based version OS X Recovery. Your Mac automatically uses this feature when the Recovery System on the startup drive isn't available. For example, if your startup drive encounters an issue, or if your startup drive has been replaced or erased. Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's servers. Starting up from this system performs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to check for hardware issues.

Internet Recovery initially asks you to select a Wi-Fi network and enter a network password when needed. Next, Internet Recovery downloads and starts from a Recovery System image. From there, you are offered the same utilities and options as the Recovery System on a startup drive.

Some Macs that came with OS X Snow Leopard can use Internet Recovery after installing OS X Lion or later and a software update.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Felipe.l27

Hello Felipe.l27,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that your computer is booting to Internet Recovery. Internet Recovery has all of the capabilities of an OS X Recovery partition. To learn more about why OS X Internet Recovery starts, please see the information outlined below.

OS X Internet Recovery

Newer Macs include the ability to start up directly from an Internet-based version OS X Recovery. Your Mac automatically uses this feature when the Recovery System on the startup drive isn't available. For example, if your startup drive encounters an issue, or if your startup drive has been replaced or erased. Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's servers. Starting up from this system performs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to check for hardware issues.

Internet Recovery initially asks you to select a Wi-Fi network and enter a network password when needed. Next, Internet Recovery downloads and starts from a Recovery System image. From there, you are offered the same utilities and options as the Recovery System on a startup drive.

Some Macs that came with OS X Snow Leopard can use Internet Recovery after installing OS X Lion or later and a software update.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

Take care.

Dec 19, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Felipe.l27

I downloaded OS X El Capitan and created a bootable USB flash drive with DiskMaker X, then I restarted the Mac holding the alt button and choose start the machine by USB stick with Apple's software and entered into OS X Recovery Mode , then I could reinstall the software again. Once I finished setting up the Mac , I restarted it by the OS X Recovery Mode and everything was working. Anyway , thanks for the support 🙂 (Internet Recovery wasn't working)

OS X Recovery Mode doesn't boot in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.