Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage will not sync with iPhone

iMessage used to sync between my MacBook Pro and iPhone but is no longer doing so. I have followed the suggested "fixes" in various threads here as well as elsewhere. Here is information about my devices:

MacBook Pro running El Capitan v-10.11.2

iPhone 5 v-9.2

On my Mac, when I open iMessage, each of the contacts have the word "Offline" below their names. The selected contact, in the "To" field has their name in a red background and each time I try to send a message I receive a "Not Delivered" notification. When I open iMessage Preferences > Accounts - there are two accounts listed: my iCloud / Apple iMessage account and Bonjour. Both are "greyed out" and not accessible when I click on them. My iCloud / Apple iMessage account says "(inactive)".

In System Preferences > iCloud - I am signed into iCloud

I exactly followed the steps in the sequence suggested by both GregCAust and brenden dv at this thread Text Message Forwarding confirm code won't show up in Mac without success. I repeated the steps suggested in each several times.

On my iPhone, when I navigate to Settings > Messages - turn off iMessage then turn it back on, once it activates and presents the "Text Message Forwarding" option, after tapping on the button activating it, I receive the "Text Message Forwarding" message where I can enter the code that will be shown on my Mac but the code never appears on my Mac.

However, when I activate iMessage on my iPhone, I do get the following message on my Mac: "Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iMessage on a new iPhone. If you recently signed into "iPhone" you can ignore this notification." After clicking on OK in that message, then trying to activate Text Message Forwarding again, I still do not get notification of a code shown on my Mac. When I try to send another message in iMessage on my Mac, I still receive a Not Delivered notification and the SMS message bubble is green.

Hopefully someone can help. Thanks

Posted on Dec 17, 2015 3:48 PM

8 replies

Dec 18, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Unfortunately I still cannot sync between my iPhone 5 and iMessage on my MacBook. Any additional suggestions?

Here are the steps I followed in the 2nd link you provided: Messages – Fix Syncing Between Mac and IOS (2)

My notes are in (bold parens) below.

"First, you need to make sure all your devices are on the same Apple ID."

On each iOS device (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, iPad Mini):

1. Open Settings.app (DONE)
  2. Go to "Messages" and make sure iMessage is On. (DONE)
  3. If iMessage is on, "Send & Receive" will appear below it. Tap on it. (DONE)
  4. Make note of the Apple ID at the top of the page. (DONE)
  5. Select your phone number and email address(es) that you want to sync to that device. (DONE - See the 1st image below)

On each Mountain Lion Mac: (My note: I am on: OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.2)

1. Open Messages (DONE)
  2. Click the "Accounts" tab in the top. (DONE)
  3. Select your iMessage/Apple ID account, and make sure "Enable this account" is checked. (DONE - See the 2nd image below)
  4. Select your phone number and any email address(es) that you would like synced. (My only option here is to select my Apple ID address)

The most important part is that everything is consistent across all the devices. (Image 1 below: under: Start New Conversations From - Should I select my Apple ID email address?)

Note that only new iMessages will sync - history will not.

If you are still having trouble getting new iMessages to sync across the devices try: (Still having trouble...)

1. Disabling then re-enabling iMessage on each device that isn't being synced to. (DONE)
  2. Delete all your previous conversations: Some people have reported that they had to delete all of their conversations before things would sync up. (Don't want to do this - shouldn't have to)
  3. Make sure you have your phone number added to your Apple ID account online. (DONE)

My note: In the screenshot of the iMessage "Send & Receive screen in settings on my iPhone, I have replaced my actual addresses and phone number with identifying information that is consistent with the content in each field.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 18, 2015 12:39 PM in response to Ray100

I found a resolution to this issue:

MacBook > Launch Messages app > click on Messages in menu bar > Preferences > Accounts tab - when I followed this flow previously then clicked on my Apple ID Account in the Account list, there wouldn't be any dialog boxes to the right of the Accounts column. When I then clicked on the "Bonjuour" account also listed in the Account column, which presented the dialog boxes to the right, I then "re-clicked" on my Apple ID Account and now the dialog boxes appeared to the right. I logged in and was then able to tap on iPhone > Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding > enable > received a code to enter into the Text Message Forwarding field on my iPhone and was then able to successfully sync messages between my Apple devices.

Thanks again Eric for your reply.

Feb 17, 2016 12:35 PM in response to myvinoveritas

Hi,

Then the question becomes what iPhone do you have ?

It has to be running iOS 8 at least.

Have you got SMS On in the settings from the phone App ?

If it is not set up to do SMS there is no reason to Forward them.

User uploaded file

8:34 pm Wednesday; February 17, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

iMessage will not sync with iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.