Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text messages only appear horizontal (landscape) not vertical (portrait)

why would my new iPhone 6 only show text messages on horizontal screen...not vertical

iPhone 6s

Posted on Dec 18, 2015 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2015 1:20 PM

Hello Jerritemp,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having issues with viewing your Messages app in that it only displays in the landscape format. Assuming that Messages is the only app that this is happening in, I have a few things to try and sort it out. After each of the following, I would like you to test and if the issue is resolved, there is no need to go further.

The first thing I would like you to do is turn Orientation Lock off and then back on.

If the screen doesn‘t rotate on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Next, force Messages to shut down and then restart.

Force an app to close in iOS

And finally, force shut down Messages and then restart your iPhone.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2015 1:20 PM in response to Jerritemp

Hello Jerritemp,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having issues with viewing your Messages app in that it only displays in the landscape format. Assuming that Messages is the only app that this is happening in, I have a few things to try and sort it out. After each of the following, I would like you to test and if the issue is resolved, there is no need to go further.

The first thing I would like you to do is turn Orientation Lock off and then back on.

If the screen doesn‘t rotate on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Next, force Messages to shut down and then restart.

Force an app to close in iOS

And finally, force shut down Messages and then restart your iPhone.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best regards.

Text messages only appear horizontal (landscape) not vertical (portrait)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.