Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The backup disk needs 3.84 EB for the backup but only 5.44 TB are available.

Since 2 days (when I changed my ISP and WiFi router), Time machine is no longer able to backup my mac to my NAS in the LAN. I can reach the NAS without problem and Time machine que find it too.

The surprise here is that Time machine says that it needs 3.84 EXABYTES! 3.84e9 GB!

This is the exact error:

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Cloud”.

The backup disk needs 3.84 EB for the backup but only 5.44 TB are available. Select a larger backup disk or make the backup smaller by excluding files.

Latest successful backup: December 16, 2015

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 18, 2015 12:50 PM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2015 12:58 PM in response to carlosbaraza

A third-party network-attached storage device (NAS) or router is unsuitable for use with Time Machine, especially if it's your only backup. I know this isn't what you want to hear. I know that Time Machine accepts the device as a backup destination. I know that the manufacturer says the device will work with Time Machine, and I also know that it usually seems to work. Except when you try to restore, and find that you can't.

Apple has published a specification for network devices that work with Time Machine. No third-party vendor, as far as I know, meets that specification. They all use the incomplete, obsolete Netatalk implementation of Apple Filing Protocol.

Apple does not endorse any third-party network device for use with Time Machine. See this support article.

If you want network backup, use as the destination either an Apple Time Capsule or an external storage device connected to another Mac or to an 802.11ac AirPort base station. Only the 802.11ac base stations support Time Machine, not any older model.

Otherwise, don't use Time Machine at all. There are other ways to back up, though none of them is anywhere near as efficient or as well integrated with OS X. I don't have a specific recommendation.

If you're determined to keep using the device with Time Machine, your only recourse for any problems that result is to the manufacturer (which will blame Apple, or you, or anyone but itself.)

Dec 18, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well, thank you for the answer. It is good to know that everyone lies just to sell more. The only thing I can say is that I am disappointed.

About blaming the manufacturer, I do not agree. If Apple accepts an incomplete implementation of the specification as a valid device to backup, it is a big fault on Apple side, because backing up is a sensitive topic. I guess they do it in order to ease the adoption from manufacturers, but this does not justify the fact that I trust a service (Time Machine) with my backups, and it may not work properly on some accepted devices, without even a warning.

However, getting objective about my issue, I am not going to through away my expensive NAS, nor my router. Therefore, I believe there should be a way to debug the reason for this strange behavior.

Any suggestions about what could I solve the issue?

Jan 23, 2016 10:27 PM in response to Linc Davis

@Linc Davis (or anyone else who may have some insight),

I, too, am having a similar issue:

- OS X El Capitan w/ Server app, Time Machine Service enabled with a backup defined on on each of two different internal drives on a Mac Mini:

- 669.68 GB partition on Disk0

- 400 GB partition on Disk1

- Client is OS X El Capitan Mac Book Pro

- Backup size: 2 partitions of the one internal harddrive:

- OS Partition: 57.66 GB used // 74.11 total space

- Data Partition: 116.65 GB used // 424.8 total space

- Time Machine Preferences > Options > Estimated size of full backup: 174.11 GB

- Select Disk > regardless of which of the two partitions I select to use on the server, both error out with: "The backup disk needs 185.09 GB for the backup but only 147.58 GB are available. Select a larger backup disk or make the backup smaller by excluding files."

I've reformatted the partitions on the server; nothing is on the drives; no other clients back up to those partitions, so this would be an initial, full backup of the MBP to the server.

If I exclude the MBP OS Partition (57.66 GB), it will run successfully (leaving only the data partition with 116.65 GB in the backup), but I'd like to include both partitions on the MBP.

Any ideas on what is going wrong or how to fix the problem?

Apr 10, 2016 6:05 AM in response to Shrubbery1

I have a similar issue.

1st mac mini el capitan w / server and 12TB external HDD. mini ethernet connected to airport extreme

2nd mac mini el capitan and another ext 12TB WD HD. mini wifi connected to same network.

from mini 1 i can select 12TB backup drive on mini 2 using time machine but after some time I get error:

'time machine couldn't complete the backup to '...server".

the backup disk needs 10.34TB for the backup but only 498.77 GB are available. Select a large backup disk or make the backup smaller by excluding files.

it seems that time machine on the server mini 1 is defaulting to internal 500 GB HDD.

any ideas?

The backup disk needs 3.84 EB for the backup but only 5.44 TB are available.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.