Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install HP Laserjet drivers

How do I install drivers for a HP4700 Color Laserjet?

I tried to add an printer on my "new" computer and I discovered there are no drivers available for an HP4700 Color Laserjet. If I use the generic driver, I get a poor quality B&W print out.

I have not been able locate the correct driver download for the printer. I download a .dmg file, open it, click on "Install Software Package," and I get an error message that says "Installed failed because there are no drivers to download.

I know that a driver must exist for this printer because I have another Mac, running El Capitan, and it has HP drivers installed and I can get excellent print outs.

Is there a "secret" web page with downloads for this printer? Googling "Drivers for HP Printers" gives many results, but none of the downloads seem to work.

Can anyone offer some advice on where to find drivers for an HP 4700 ColorLaserJet?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 4 Mgs RAM

Posted on Dec 18, 2015 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 8:21 AM

Greetings Joeswell,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you have an HP Color LaserJet 4700 printer that you would like to use with your Mac. This printer is listed as having available software accessible directly from Software Update on your Mac according to the following article.

Printer and scanner software available for download for your Mac - Apple Support

For information on how to get the software you need to set up this printer with your Mac, please refer to the instructions from the article.

Apple delivers third-party software for scanners and printers as software updates. To set up your printer or scanner, just connect it to your Mac. If software is needed and available, OS X automatically downloads and installs it.

This article is a comprehensive list of currently supported printer and scanner models and associated software provided by third-party vendors as of November 3, 2015.

Check for software updates before connecting your printer or scanner. This updates the list of the latest supported printer and scanner models on your Mac. If you don't check for updates before trying to connect a new printer, you might not see available software when you connect your device. If you're using a Wi-Fi printer, be sure to connect your printer to your Wi-Fi network before adding it to your Mac.

Have a great day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Joeswell

Greetings Joeswell,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you have an HP Color LaserJet 4700 printer that you would like to use with your Mac. This printer is listed as having available software accessible directly from Software Update on your Mac according to the following article.

Printer and scanner software available for download for your Mac - Apple Support

For information on how to get the software you need to set up this printer with your Mac, please refer to the instructions from the article.

Apple delivers third-party software for scanners and printers as software updates. To set up your printer or scanner, just connect it to your Mac. If software is needed and available, OS X automatically downloads and installs it.

This article is a comprehensive list of currently supported printer and scanner models and associated software provided by third-party vendors as of November 3, 2015.

Check for software updates before connecting your printer or scanner. This updates the list of the latest supported printer and scanner models on your Mac. If you don't check for updates before trying to connect a new printer, you might not see available software when you connect your device. If you're using a Wi-Fi printer, be sure to connect your printer to your Wi-Fi network before adding it to your Mac.

Have a great day!

Jan 15, 2016 6:11 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you Dr. Mac. Reseting the Printing System seems to have done the trick.

However, at first I tried to download drivers from HP, but kept getting the "installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install" error.

The HP CLJ4700 was at work. When I go back to work, I'll see if the drivers are available in the "Printers and Scanners" pane in System Preferences."

Install HP Laserjet drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.