Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't change address field in Messages

One of my contacts can't be answered in messages. Every time I try to answer—her alone or as part of a group message—her address changes to her email address rather than her phone number. The message I get is "Your message could not be sent. _____.com is not registered with iMessage."

How can I fix that?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 19, 2015 5:19 AM

2 replies

Dec 20, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Gerret Warner

Hi Gerret,

It sounds like your friend needs to check her Messages settings on her iPhone and computer. Here are some resources to help with that:

Link your iPhone number and Apple ID to use iMessage and FaceTime
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201349

Get started on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Sign in to iMessage:

1. Tap Settings > Messages > Send & Receive.
  2. Tap Use your Apple ID for iMessage. Then sign in with your Apple ID. Use the same Apple ID as your iPhone.
  3. Select the phone number and email addresses that you want to be reached at.

Sign in to FaceTime:

1. Tap Settings > FaceTime.
  2. Tap Use your Apple ID for FaceTime. Then sign in with your Apple ID. Use the same Apple ID as your iPhone.

After you sign in to iMessage or FaceTime on your iPad or iPod touch, your iPhone will get a notification saying that your Apple ID and iPhone are now being used with iMessage or FaceTime on your iPad or iPod touch. You’ll get a notification for every email address or phone number that you enable on each additional device.

Get started on your Mac

To link your phone number to iMessage or FaceTime:

1. Open the Messages or FaceTime app.
  2. Sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your iPhone.

After you sign in to iMessage or FaceTime on your Mac, your iPhone will get a notification saying that your Apple ID and iPhone are now being used with iMessage or FaceTime on your Mac. You’ll get a notification for every email address or phone number that you enable on each additional device.

Learn about connecting your devices to send and receive messages.

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201422

Check your device settings

1. Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. If you're using an iPhone, you'll need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime. Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for this SMS.
  2. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and make sure that you've set up your time zone correctly.

Get help signing in to Messages, FaceTime, and Game Center
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204408

Take care,

Dec 21, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Gerret Warner

Hi,

Sounds like your Contacts app is not syncing properly.

First check her details on all the devices you have in the relevant Contacts app.

As you suppose they should include her Apple ID and iPhone number.

Next check the System Preferences > Internet accounts and the Account with which your sync the Contacts app with.

This could be Google or Yahoo or even the option to go to the iCloud pane.

Check that is is enabled here (in just one account, i.e. iCloud but not the others for instance).

Check the other devices are also using the same Account.

In the Contacts App > Preferences > Accounts on the Mac double check only one account is active.

Having multiple accounts suddenly become active is more of an issue in later version of the OS but it is worth checking.

If On My Mac is still active then turn that Off as well.

As Judysings points out it could be the other end.

Mostly she should check iPhone > Settings > Messages > Send and Receive.

For some reason the iPhone Number can be deselected (even though it is not user changeable).

If left for too long the number does become de-registered which in turn means it is not linked to the Apple ID she is using.

You (She) do(es) literally have to start again if this happens

Remove (Sign Out) of the Apple ID in Send and Receive.

Turn the App Off and wait a couple of Minutes.

Restart the app And wait for the number to Verify.

Once that is done send an iMessages to the Apple ID (from her phone to her Mac) it can only use the iPhone Number to send and she should be able to send specifically to the Apple ID.
If this works add back the Apple ID in Send and Receive.

Accept the Pop ups on other devices that say what the iPhone is using.

Reset Text Forwarding if in use.

User uploaded file

9:13 pm Monday; December 21, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

can't change address field in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.