Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing my existing iCloud Photo Library albums with my family

Hey there,

I finally let Photos.app upload my entire Photos library to iCloud. I have everything neatly organized into albums, so far so good.

Now I want to "convert" these albums into shared albums. I soon realized that this feature is not present on neither OS X or iOS. What does exist, though, is the share button present inside each album.

So I have two questions, actually:

- Do I have to use the share button on each album, and begin sharing one by one?

- Photos.app on my Mac will begin downloading all the photos in the album before sharing. This doesn't make any sense. The photos are already in the cloud and synced. Is there a way to prevent this? Sharing should be instantaneous!

Thank you!

Matías.

Photos.app-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), null

Posted on Dec 19, 2015 10:52 AM

1 reply

Dec 19, 2015 12:15 PM in response to moofmartinez

Now I want to "convert" these albums into shared albums. I soon realized that this feature is not present on neither OS X or iOS. What does exist, though, is the share button present inside each album.

If you want to share your albums as separate albums, you have to select all photos in each album and then share them separately. Be careful not to share too many photos at once, see: iCloud: My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing limits

Photos.app on my Mac will begin downloading all the photos in the album before sharing. This doesn't make any sense. The photos are already in the cloud and synced. Is there a way to prevent this? Sharing should be instantaneous!

The Shared albums are using a different part of iCloud. Shared photos do not count against your Cloud storage, and the photos will be shared at a different size from your copies in iCloud, so they need to be downloaded to render the correct size for sharing.

Sharing my existing iCloud Photo Library albums with my family

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.