Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod classic 'shuffle albums' does not work

iPod classic 'shuffle albums' option does not work, will only shuffles songs however I set shuffle function ; neither rebooting nor resyncing in iTunes helps. New 18 months ago, did shuffle albums initially.

Can anything be done ? I used this function a lot - almost all the time - on my old click-wheel iPod, which after many years of excellent service is now defunct and the iPad Classic was bought as a backup for that eventuality.

iPod classic

Posted on Dec 19, 2015 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2015 4:29 AM

That Shuffle setting applies to playing songs from a specific list, such as a playlist, album list, artist list, etc. If you are selecting the Shuffle or Shuffle Songs command on the iPod's screen, it always shuffles songs (does not use the Shuffle setting).

So, to make the Shuffle Albums setting apply to your action, for a playlist, select the playlist on the iPod's screen without going into it. Press Play. Or you can go into the playlist and pick the first song to play. The following songs use the Shuffle Albums setting.

If you want to use Shuffle Albums for all songs on iPod, go into the Songs list. Pick the first song to play. The following songs use the Shuffle Albums setting.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2015 4:29 AM in response to UVFIscher

That Shuffle setting applies to playing songs from a specific list, such as a playlist, album list, artist list, etc. If you are selecting the Shuffle or Shuffle Songs command on the iPod's screen, it always shuffles songs (does not use the Shuffle setting).

So, to make the Shuffle Albums setting apply to your action, for a playlist, select the playlist on the iPod's screen without going into it. Press Play. Or you can go into the playlist and pick the first song to play. The following songs use the Shuffle Albums setting.

If you want to use Shuffle Albums for all songs on iPod, go into the Songs list. Pick the first song to play. The following songs use the Shuffle Albums setting.

Dec 20, 2015 4:37 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks so much, that seems to do the job - not intuitively obvious, as the old iPod's was (where you set 'shuffle albums' then press 'shuffle' and off you'd go). New things, new ways.

It's a very small thing on a cosmic scale maybe, but I play my music constantly at home and out and about, and load lots of new and unknown music, and this will return a pleasure to my life that I was missing.

Thanks again.

Dec 20, 2015 4:58 AM in response to UVFIscher

Actually, it's the same as on older iPods, regarding Shuffle setting. On older iPod, it does not have a Shuffle command at the top of each list. Therefore, Shuffle setting always applies (because you play the list just like in my description from last post). Except for one place - the Shuffle Songs command on iPod's main screen; that always shuffles songs (does not use Shuffle setting).

When I use my old 4th gen iPod, I find it inconvenient when I want to shuffle a list, because I usually have Shuffle set to Off, so that I can play album or artist songs in order, not shuffled. But when I listen to my playlists, I usually want to shuffle songs. And I have to go to the Settings screen each time, to change Shuffle setting between Off and Songs. On my 5th gen iPod nano (which works like your iPod classic), that Shuffle command at the top of each list lets me shuffle the current list, or play it in order without messing with the Shuffle setting (it stays set to Off).

iPod classic 'shuffle albums' does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.