Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri can't control phone functions

For about the last week or so (Probably since the last update) when I ask Siri to perform tasks that control the phone such as "Set a timer, Remind me, Set an alarm, Etc." she says "Sorry I can't do that right now". A restart fixes the issue temporarily but the problem comes back shortly after. When you have learned to rely on Siri for these functions it becomes incredibly annoying.

iPhone 6S 64GB

iOS 9.2 (13C75)

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 20, 2015 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 2:12 PM

Hi Macidiot_1979,

If you are having trouble with Siri understanding your voice commands, take a look at the troubleshooting steps in this article. For instance, what happens when you turn Wi-Fi off and give Siri a command using your cellular network? Take a look at these steps and reply back if the issue still persists.

Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Get help with Siri

• If "Hey Siri" isn't working, make sure that "Hey Siri" is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
  • Siri might say, "Sorry, I'm having trouble connecting to the network," or "Try again in a little while." This is probably a network issue. Check your Internet connection and try again later.
  • If Siri isn't available or responding to questions, see the next section.

If Siri isn't available, or doesn't understand or respond to questions

After each step, see if you still need help:

1. Make sure that your iOS device has an Internet connection through Wi-Fi or cellular data.
  2. On your iOS device, make sure that Siri is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
  3. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  4. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Siri and turn off Siri. Then turn it on again.
  5. Make sure that the microphones on your device aren't blocked. For example, if your device has a protective case, remove it.
  6. If you're using an iOS device, try to use Siri with a headset. If Siri works, get more help with the microphones on your device.
  7. Contact Apple Support.

Happy Holidays!

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Macidiot_1979

Hi Macidiot_1979,

If you are having trouble with Siri understanding your voice commands, take a look at the troubleshooting steps in this article. For instance, what happens when you turn Wi-Fi off and give Siri a command using your cellular network? Take a look at these steps and reply back if the issue still persists.

Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Get help with Siri

• If "Hey Siri" isn't working, make sure that "Hey Siri" is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
  • Siri might say, "Sorry, I'm having trouble connecting to the network," or "Try again in a little while." This is probably a network issue. Check your Internet connection and try again later.
  • If Siri isn't available or responding to questions, see the next section.

If Siri isn't available, or doesn't understand or respond to questions

After each step, see if you still need help:

1. Make sure that your iOS device has an Internet connection through Wi-Fi or cellular data.
  2. On your iOS device, make sure that Siri is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
  3. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  4. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Siri and turn off Siri. Then turn it on again.
  5. Make sure that the microphones on your device aren't blocked. For example, if your device has a protective case, remove it.
  6. If you're using an iOS device, try to use Siri with a headset. If Siri works, get more help with the microphones on your device.
  7. Contact Apple Support.

Happy Holidays!

Jan 2, 2016 10:59 AM in response to Macidiot_1979

I am having the same problem on my iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2. The problem isn't that Siri doesn't understand, the problem is that she can't perform the action. She understands me perfectly. When I ask her to perform an action on the phone, she clearly understands it, then goes to apparently perform the action, but comes back after a few seconds and says, "Sorry I can't do that right now."

For instance, when I say "set a timer for 10 minutes," Siri responds with, "Setting the timer..." (That's what I mean when I say she understands me perfectly)

She will then after some time say, "We've had a problem, can you please try that again." Unfortunately trying it any number of times never works. The only temporary fix is to restart the phone.

Jan 3, 2016 8:32 PM in response to Macidiot_1979

IM having the same problems. She won't make calls, or appointments, or set alarms. She can however tell me the time or the weather. But if I ask her to set my alarm for 7am, she replies with setting your alarm... But then comes back and says she can't do it. She also cannot launch any apps because I ”don't ha an app by that name". I tried Photos, Mail, Calendar, etc. I've wiped and restored from a backup. I've reset settings. I've restarted. I've shut down. I've disabled Siri, enabled Siri. I've disabled Hey Siri and renabled it...no luck

Jan 13, 2016 7:43 AM in response to conlad

I am also having the same problem. It occurred when I bought a new iPhone 6S 128 model, replacing an iPhone 5S. My specs are listed below. I used to be able to ask Siri to "play my Jazz Favorites playlist" and it could access it immediately. Now, it takes a long time to searching and said, "Sorry I can't do that right now." I have tried all of the suggestions mentioned above as well, including soft and hard resets, using the my cellular connection and different WiFi networks, and a full restore of my software.

My fear is that Apple is not aware of the problem for the next update. Is there somewhere that this can be reported? I have suggested features before using a form on the website, but this is more of a software issue. I pray that this will get resolved soon. Like others, I depend on Siri to control my phone in hands-free situations.

iPhone 6S 128 gb

Version: 9.2 (13C75)

Carrier: Verizon 23.3

Jan 19, 2016 9:09 PM in response to mathiasmark

Since my post my Siri situation has spun out of control. I've tried most everything everyone has suggested, and it's hit and miss. I have a 5S and #rd gen iPad, the phone is by far the worst for Siri issues, but the iPad seems to be developing the same troubles.

She hears me, tries to do what I ask then says she can't if it's from the lock screen. Once the phone is open, I'm still have occasional fails where she can't search the internet or whatever.

I'm thinking we either have to see if we can still downgrade to 9.1 by downloading the ipsw and waiting for Apple to push a fix via 9.2.1 whichever number they choose.

All in all and in the end super, super frustrating. I use Siri a lot from the lock screen and on top of that my 5S home button is failing only after 1.5 years of ownership. Very frustrating indeed.

Jan 24, 2016 2:35 PM in response to Macidiot_1979

Yup. Im having the same issues as well. When asked for information Siri is quick to give it to me, but when asked to do certain things like set alarm/timer, launch an app, dial a phone number, set reminders etc.. it doesn't do it. Just says "Setting the alarm .." and then it says that it wasn't able to. I lad an iPhone 6s Plus 64 GB. I restored my iPhone from iCloud backup, nothing. Erased my iPhone and set it as new, nothing. Took it to the Genius Bar and got the phone swapped for a new one and it worked at first, but the same problem started happening again so it MUST be a software issue. After doing research I've been told that installing the 9.3 beta resolved this issue, but i don't feel comfortable having a beta installed on my phone since its still very buggy. My partners iPhone 6 64GB was having the exact same issue as well and he erased his iPhone, set it up as new and that seemed to do the trick for him, but for me it did not work. I filed a bug report with Apple at bugreport.apple.com please report this issue so Apple can fix this in the next software update. Cheers!

Siri can't control phone functions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.