Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Crash when restoring to new hard drive

Hi people ,,, so here's the scenerio.. Late Model 2009 IMac 3.06ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 21 1/2 inch screen, 500gb,,,12 gigs of ram installed a year ago,,, has been backed up on Time Machine 2gig external drive .. The computer has been working fine, only thing I needed to upgrade for more Hard drive space ,, Purchased a Seagate 2TB , SSHD Internal drive ( ST2000DX001 ) ,, Checked it out with OWC and they said it was compatible,,, Swap out went good,,, But when I went to restore the new drive on time Machine,, the time machine install crashed, I tried 3 times

so I started fresh and installed the operating System and updated all the way up to 10.11.2 el captain ( from install disk 10.6.1 ) so the hardware seems good ,,,but I really need my system back to the way it was,, ITunes music, Safari and saved websites, and my work important files

I just did a First Aid check on the back up drive,came up good.. any suggestions would be appreciated ,,, Thanks

Posted on Dec 20, 2015 12:58 PM

9 replies

Dec 21, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Ernova2112

Possibly, won't know until we have a look. 🙂

Open console in Applications>Utilities, check the system log for the date/time of the last problem & the Startup right after that for clues.

Click on the top line we want, Shift plus click on the bottom line we want, CMD+c to copy, then paste the text in a reply with CMD+v

A few dozen lines should be about right, hundreds or thousands won't likely be readable.

Dec 22, 2015 11:18 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok,, So Time Machine Actually Worked on the 4th Try,,,

What I did was, after the First 3 failed attempts at a Time Machine Restore,, I Reinstalled OS from disc 10.6.1 and up graded back up to 10.11.2

Everything looked good, Then I went to Disk Utility and ran First Aid on the Drive that had the Time Machine backup,, that Came out good

Then I restarted My Computer While holding down Command / R ,, and restored the System thru Time Machine backup ( Said a Prayer ) ,,, a few hours Later ,, Every thing came back like it was on My old 500gb Drive ,,, So Time Machine worked like a Champ ,, and I have a New 2TB SSHD Drive

I really couldn't even tell ya the exact answer why it worked,, but it worked ,,,

Thanks for the Attempted help BDAqua ...

Time Machine Crash when restoring to new hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.