Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are There Replacements for the iMac G3 (Bondi Blue) 15 Pin Video Cable?

I recently bought an iMac G3 Revision A off of craigslist. The hard drive in it is bad, so I need to open up the mac to replace it. But, what stops me in my tracks is that one of the screws holding the 15 pin cable is broken (meaning that one half of it is still in there, screwed in) and I can't get it out. I have tried loosening the nut, but to no avail. So, before I get into any wire snipping, I need to know if replacement cables do exist for this type of connector in this specific system. if you find one on let's say eBay, please include a link!

Thanks!

iMac, iMac G3 Bondi Blue

Posted on Dec 20, 2015 2:31 PM

11 replies

Dec 20, 2015 5:27 PM in response to Samsungsucks12

Assuming that you mean the cable/plug shown on page 8 in https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA492/en_US/iMacG3_originalInstallGuide .PDF, it could per se probably be found through a web search for something like "iMac G3 RGB video cable". However, a warning: Replacing the entire cable would mean having to gain access to sections of the computer that are intended only for someone with the necessary expertise (dangerous high-voltage circuits inside), so do contact a service provider for this work.

Dec 20, 2015 5:27 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Yeah, that cable right there. Well, I wouldn't really know of a "service" provider for these old G3's, but I'm not concerned with the high voltage stuff, as the machine hasn't been powered on in a few months. Since I couldn't find any cables on eBay, what do you reckon the other end looks like? i know on the visible end it's the 15-pin, but is it also 15-pin on the other side?

Dec 20, 2015 7:23 PM in response to Samsungsucks12

"I'm not concerned with the high voltage stuff, as the machine hasn't been powered on in a few months."

A few months doesn't matter, because high voltage from the flyback transformer is stored within the CRT and has no discharge path. Until properly discharged, you could be knocked out for the count, if repairing a CRT-type TV or display and you inadvertently became the path to ground. The other end of the R-G-B cable connects to the analog-video board, and it's not a DB-15 connector. The procedure for handing any components on or wires connected to the analog-video board first requires discharging the CRT.

If the plastic shaft that you turn to loosen the connector isn't visible, insert the end of a paper clip into the small hole on top of the connector to determine how far down it broke off. Once that's determined, you could carefully cut away the plastic on that side of the connector, a little farther down than the paper clip indicated the broken bolt shank to be. Grasp the end of the exposed bolt shank with needle nose pliers to rotate & remove.

Dec 20, 2015 8:23 PM in response to Samsungsucks12

Man, I don't think any real internal component really works on it anymore. It used to run 24/7 in a classroom and I think every electronic component in it is WAY past it's life span, especially any capacitors and/or transformers. But if you say so, I'll do the whole alligator clip and screw driver jig. But seriously, what's this cable called!?

Dec 21, 2015 7:16 PM in response to Samsungsucks12

I think you cannibalize one from another imac rev a. The rev b, c, and d have the extra 4meg of video ram.

Do you have the service and repair manual. Once named imac.pdf?

I happen to have a non-working iMac g3 233 rev a. I examined the cable connector. Is this the one?User uploaded file

Has 980808 written on the other side of the connector. When the connector is detached, the screw moves up and down the length of the exposed screw [ the right portion ]. There is some catch that prevents you from pulling the screw out. The screw is rather free moving other than that.

As suggested before, i'd suggest taking an exacto knife and try to shave off the bottom portion just above the metal strip. Yes, there is a metal strip the juts out and around the screws shown at the right. I'll bet there is a metal constrainer embedded in the plastic that is up the length of the exposed screw.

User uploaded file

Another thing you might do is to try the take the top cover off and try to work your way down. Be careful because you will be exposed to high voltage.

Are There Replacements for the iMac G3 (Bondi Blue) 15 Pin Video Cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.