Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does sync fail with file type unsupported for this ipod message attempting to sync music from a Windows 10 PC to a brand new iPod nano.

I receive messages "file type is not supported by this ipod" while attempting to sync a brand new ipod nano. Using Windows 10 PC, iTunes for PC is up to date, iPod software is up to date. I have two albums in iTunes which display and play correctly in iTunes. When i attempt to sync to the brand new iPod, i receive these error messages and no music is transferred. Please advise. Thanks.

iPod nano, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 20, 2015 7:57 PM

1 reply

Dec 22, 2015 7:22 AM in response to davebeals

Hi, Dave.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you are unable to sync two specific albums to your new iPod nano. I would need a little more information on this issue, but will provide a couple steps that may help resolve this issue. I would like to try a reset of the iPod and placing the device in disk mode. One this is done, test syncing the device again.

iPod nano (6th or 7th generation)

To reset your iPod nano (7th generation), press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button until the screen goes dark. After a few seconds, you'll see the Apple logo and then the Home screen.

To reset your iPod nano (6th generation), press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and Volume Down button for at least eight seconds or until you see the Apple logo. You might need to repeat this step.

If you still need help, follow these steps:

1. Plug your iPod into a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet.
    You can also plug your iPod into your computer. Make sure that the computer is on and isn't set to go to sleep.
  2. Try to reset your iPod again.

Learn how to reset your iPod

iPod nano (7th generation)

1. Before placing the iPod into Disk Mode, verify that it has a charge.
  2. Reset the device by pressing the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously until the display shows the Apple logo. This should take about eight seconds.
  3. When the Apple logo appears, press and hold the Volume Down and Volume Up buttons simultaneously until the device enters Disk Mode.

Putting iPod into Disk Mode

If these steps do not resolve the issue, how many songs are you attempting to sync? Where these songs purchased in iTunes? If the media was purchased in iTunes, delete the media that is giving the error and download it again via the information below.

iTunes 12 for Windows: Delete songs, playlists, or other items

Download your past purchases

If none of this information helps, please reply back with the information requested. Also, if you receive the error again, check to see if the music causing the issue is listed.

Cheers

Why does sync fail with file type unsupported for this ipod message attempting to sync music from a Windows 10 PC to a brand new iPod nano.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.