You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3rd or 4th Gen? Does Youku work?

Hi everyone,

I'm unsure whether to purchase the 3rd or 4th generation Apple TV. I would be interested to see what everyone else thinks.

I personally don't need much storage, I am indifferent to resolution and Siri/App Store is not important to me. Hence at this stage, I think 3rd generation may be better as it is priced at $88.00 vs. $120+.

I mostly am after the 'Airplay' feature as I found the Google Chromecast too irritating.

Also - would anyone be able to tell me if the Chinese 'Youtube' style app 'Youku HD' works in full-screen from one of iPhone (preferably) / Macbook / iPad 2 using Airplay?

Thank you so much & Happy Holidays.

Posted on Dec 20, 2015 11:51 PM

2 replies

Dec 21, 2015 8:30 AM in response to yvonne317

Airplay would work the same on 3rd gen as it would on 4th gen. The output is also 1080P for both models.

If the app supports basic airplay then it will simply push the media to Apple TV from your IOS device. If the source is full screen it will appear as such. If basic airplay is not enabled then you will need to mirror (Mac from 2011 or later, iPhone 4S or later, iPad 2 or later). The iPad would not be in full screen since it would be pushing it's 4:3 display onto a 16:9 TV.

Apple TV 3rd or 4th Gen? Does Youku work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.