Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing DRM protection from purchased AAC music files

Removing DRM protection from purchased AAC music files is necessary in order to make the files available to play with Sonos.

1. In iTunes, select My Music
  2. List songs showing “kind”
  3. Select a song with “kind” “Protected AAC audio file”
  4. Click the “…” and select “Delete”
  5. The song is deleted from My Music and appears in the trash
  6. Empty the trash
  7. In iTunes, select iTunes Store
  8. Under music, select Purchased
  9. The song deleted at step (4) above appears
  10. Click the cloud/download icon
  11. In iTunes, select My Music
  12. The song downloaded at step (10) above appears
  13. The song has AGAIN been downloaded as “Protected AAC audio file”. This is a problem, since it is my understanding that AAC Protection is no longer supposed to be used by iTunes.

How do I get an unprotected version of a song I have previously purchased? I have literally hundreds of protected songs that I want to use with Sonos, and I am NOT going to pay for them again.

Thanks,

Chris

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), Also: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 5:08 AM

19 replies

Mar 29, 2016 4:09 PM in response to John Sawyer1

I bit the bullet and paid $25 for the iTunes Match subscription in order to follow this procedure, and it mostly worked. I can confirm that the "match" service offered by the free trial of Apple Music didn't allow non-DRM copies to be downloaded; I needed the "classic" paid version 😟

It seemed to be important to wait for my library to be uploaded and sync'd with the iCloud Music Library before getting reliable operation - you can't really control in what order your tracks are being scanned and uploaded. After that, deleting the "download" of a "Protected AAC Audio File" and re-downloading it I received the unprotected "Purchased AAC Audio File" version. From there, I converted to "Apple Lossless" file and then fully deleted the "Purchased" version. I also made sure all the newly created lossless tracks were added back to the iCloud Music Library, though I don't know if this is strictly necessary.

After going through this procedure with the 400 or so Protected tracks there were still a dozen or so that were problematic, refusing to re-download in anything but their original "Protected AAC" versions. These were mostly obscure older songs, so I suspect Apple hasn't bothered to convert their complete library down to every last track.

Dec 21, 2015 8:06 AM in response to ChrisOregon

Hi,

With iTunes match you can upgrade previously purchased Protected tacos from 128 Kbps to 256 Kbps BUT not all tracks are upgradable, usually because that version is no longer available. I had a set of Beethoven Symphonies which was no longer available, so I was not able to convert them. I had a small number of such tracks - some actually matched with different sets of the same music - was able to upgrade as matched rather than previous purchases.

I burned the remained to CD, deleted the original and then re-imported them. Some were actually matched but others were uploaded.

Jim

Dec 21, 2015 6:56 AM in response to ChrisOregon

This is a problem, since it is my understanding that AAC Protection is no longer supposed to be used by iTunes.

Not exactly. New song purchases from iTunes Store do not use DRM. This has been true since Apple was allowed to offer songs using the 256 kbps "iTunes Plus" AAC format, quite a few years ago. However, during the early years of iTunes Store, songs were sold with DRM in 128 kbps AAC format. When you download the song again from the Purchased screen, you get back the same song file, because that's what you purchased.

If you subscribe to iTunes Match, when you delete the original song file from your iTunes library for any song that matches, you DO get back a 256 kbps AAC song file with no DRM when you download it from your iCloud music library. I had many older 128 kbps songs with DRM, and they have mostly been replaced by the currently sold 256 kbps AAC file with no DRM, thanks to iTunes Match. I say "mostly" because there are a few songs are no longer sold in iTunes Store. Those songs still come back as 128 kbps "protected" for format when I re-download it. Also, I replaced my other matched songs (that did not come from iTunes Store) with 256 kbps AAC (no DRM) using iTunes Match. Stopping iTunes Match subscription ($25 per year) does not change status of downloaded songs.

Dec 21, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I do have an iTunes Match subscription, and it seems to be working, EXCEPT in the case I've mentioned.

The exact same song is available now on iTunes. I delete it as described in the original post, and when I retrieve its replacement from iTunes, a 128kb Protected version is still being downloaded, even though I have an iTunes Match subscription.

So, the problem is not solved, although I have learned more from your reply.

I have literally hundreds of these files, so burning them to optical disks isn't an attractive option.

Thanks,

Chris

Dec 21, 2015 8:31 AM in response to ChrisOregon

If you are using the Purchased screen to download the song again (which is how you described it), try doing the download from your iCloud music library. If you have iTunes Match, your iTunes music library is showing you your iCloud music library. Show your music library using the Songs view (to show a plain list of songs with columns). If you don't see the iCloud Download column, make it visible (it has a "cloud" symbol in its heading). I like to put it next to the song name column. On your library song list, right-click on a song (that has this problem) and select Remove Download (not Delete). Select option to send song's file to the Trash. The song remains on the song list, but it now has a download button (cloud symbol with down-arrow) in the iCloud Download column. Click it to download the song from your iCloud music library (which is different from downloading from Purchased screen). It should be 256 kbps AAC no DRM, for any matched song (including 128 kbps protected).

If it works for one of the songs, sort your song list by the Kind column, so that all of the Protected AAC audio file songs appear together on the list. Select them all at once on the song list, right-click on selection, and Remove Download. Then, right click on selection, and Download.

Feb 17, 2016 12:33 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

The delete-the-track-and-re-download-it technique works for me too.

Some minor details to add:

1) Some of the tracks listed in "kind" as simply "AAC Audio File" (not "Protected AAC Audio File") prove to be DRM-infected (or at least, that's what Google Music gives as the reason for not allowing me to upload them). So searching by "Protected AAC Audio File" might not find all your DRM-tainted tracks. The tricky thing is that the tracks simply listed as "AAC Audio File" are not all necessarily DRM-tainted. Something like Google Music upload can be used to identify which files are (according to Google) DRM-tainted.

2) Downloading the songs again, they switch to "Purchased AAC Audio File". It's curious that this sometimes occurs with, say, only a single file out of a recently (Feb 2016) purchased album of music from the iTunes store. This suggests there is something flaky about how iTunes delivers purchased files. Why else would a freshly purchased album require delete-and-re-download of only one of its 22 tracks? The album in question, "Marc Ribot:Soundtracks II", was released in 2003, prior to the 2009 end-of-DRM, so yes it could have been lumped into the DRM-using category for that reason. But in that case, why is only one track DRM-tainted? And why is it only tainted on the initial download, not when I re-download it?

3) The re-download technique works for me even though I do not use iTunes match nor Apple music. You don't need either of those in order to re-download tracks you've purchased from iTunes store. I just delete the track via iTunes and then click the cloud icon next to it to re-download.

Removing DRM protection from purchased AAC music files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.