Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i type the euro sign on a uk keyboard

Can someone please tell me how to type the euro sign on a uk keyboard. Shift,option, 2 types the ™

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 11:03 AM

Option and 2.

(137411)

15 replies

Nov 10, 2016 5:23 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:

Hit Option+3 to type the BritishPound symbol on a Mackeyboard, here's what the quidsignlooks like – £ ForMacusers with a US keyboard layout, this is easy to remember because the 3 key is the #POUND symbol, so with the same name as the BritishPoundcurrencysymbol, that should be simple to recall.Nov 8, 2009

Option + 2 is TM

On a UK keyboard as the original poster has Option 3 generates the hash symbol i.e. #, on a UK keyboard Shift 3 generates a pound i.e. £ symbol. On a UK keyboard Option 2 generates a euro symbol i.e. €. (On a UK keyboard Shift Option 2 generates the trademark i.e. ™ symbol.)

On a US keyboard Option 2 generates the trademark symbol i.e. ™ and Option 3 generates the pound symbol i.e. £.

If as the original poster i.e. sarahfromportugal is experiencing one has a UK keyboard and Option 2 is generating the ™ symbol then this would strongly suggest that the Mac is configured to think it has a US layout keyboard. This should be corrected by opening System Preferences, going to Keyboard, then going to Input Sources and adding the British keyboard layout and deleting the U.S. layout. It would probably also be a good idea to go to System Preferences -> Language & Region and then making sure that also is set to United Kingdom rather than United States.

Other countries will be different again. The following Apple KB article details all the Apple made keyboards and their layouts. See - How to identify keyboard localizations - Apple Support

I find it ironic that the most of the citizens of the country that gave us Twitter and the hashtag are unable to correctly name the # and £ symbols. (It should be obvious where the term hashtag derives its name from.)

Nov 10, 2016 5:27 AM in response to ROGERCPORTUGAL

ROGERCPORTUGAL wrote:

UP UNTIL VERY RECENTLY THERE WAS NO PROBLEM WITH "ALT 2" ON A UK KEYBOARD. ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU NOW GET "TM". I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY KEYBOARD, ALL THAT IS DIFFERENT IS THE LATEST OPERATING SYSTEM, SIERRA.

Go to system prefs/keyboard/input sources and make sure there is only one item on the list, called British (NOT British PC or any US or ABC version)

how do i type the euro sign on a uk keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.