Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apps stuck on pending updates since 9.2

Hi

I've searched the web already but didn't find any solution

Since last update to 9.2, ALL our devices iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 and Ipad mini, are stuck on trying updating their apps.

The apps are staying in the updating position for days with no filling circle.

And no, a syncing with itunes doesn't solve the problem, itunes is making a backup and leaves the apps as they are....unupdated!

Tried to restore and yes after over an hour of transmitting my backup to the restored iPhone the apps were up to date....till today, when new updates arrived and the phone is again stuck on updating.

Oh, and sometimes, in case the updatecircle is beginning to fill for what reason ever, the app becomes grey and isn't accessible at all, and that situation remains for hours and days...

I've now wasted hours on restoring phones and pad...please help...this is really the worst thing that happened in ios since 2007...

User uploaded file

iOS 9.2, iphone and ipad

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 11:03 AM

19 replies

Dec 22, 2015 6:32 AM in response to campuslugentes

UPDATE:

Wish I've tried this earlier...

I've find out that the updating of apps over 4G network works with no problem

So, the problem is Update over Wifi !

Still not sure if if the problem comes from the devices or my wifi at home, but if I resume, there was never a problem on updating till ios 9.

With ios 9 some minor problems occurred, with ios 9.1 everything was just fine but with ios 9.2 it's a real disaster, so I think that there's a big chance that this one goes to the ios on the devices.

I'll keep up the work to find out what's wrong

But if anyone has a solution right out of the box ....?

Jan 1, 2016 2:50 AM in response to campuslugentes

Thanks for the update, I had one app which showed pending update in the updates tab, but it didn't show the update option in the purchased tab on my iPad, my iPhone was ok. I set my phone as a hotspot and in the purchased tab I then had the option to update. This has now update and I no longer have the flag showing. I've never had this issue before, but I'm just glad I know how to sort it out now.

Jan 1, 2016 5:05 AM in response to campuslugentes

So, the problem is Update over Wifi !

I have no problem updating all my apps over WIFI. In fact, that is the only way that I update the apps. Your issue would appear to to be with your WIFI not working properly. Reset your WIFI connection by forgetting the WIFI connection and then redoing the WIFI connection. If necessary reset all your network connections in settings and reestablish your WIFI connection. Worst case is you can delete the app and then reinstall the app. Regardless, updating over WIFI works reliably and is better than cellular as you don't consume your data allotment.

Jan 1, 2016 8:36 AM in response to raymond73

I'm not sure if the problem is my wifi or not as all my other apps on my iPad have and do update over wifi without any issues. I just noticed one of my apps (which is a newly released app) wouldn't update on my iPad, but it updated perfectly fine on my iPhone. The difference is I take my phone everywhere with me and it goes in and out of wifi areas and 3G/4G. I tried updating the app on my iPad this morning following other workarounds on the Apple forum, and the only one which worked was this one - in that when I connected my iPad to my phone using 4G then the app updated. It could very well be a setting on my router or any number of things with my wifi, or it could just be that particular app. However, I'm not really fussed, I've got rid of the red notification and that's all I was really bothered about.

Feb 8, 2016 4:03 AM in response to campuslugentes

I'm having the same problems. I have an iPhone 4S (64gb model), running iOS 9.2.1, and I've got 22 apps that need updating, and I can't update them, via Wi-Fi, nor 3G, no matter what. I just get the grey spinning circles, and greyed-out apps labelled as "Waiting", whilst nothing happens!

Have also tried updating them in iTunes version 12.1.3 and that tells me it can't update anything, as all my apps are up-to-date! 😠

The problems are definitely NOT with my Wi-Fi network, nor my signal strength, and despite calling Apple to get this fixed, and trying the solutions listed in this thread, nothing has worked. Yet again, Apple doesn't seem to be testing the updates/iOS upgrades properly, and is leaving user's to foot the proverbial bill!

Apple - Please get this issue fixed, and stop trying to improve the iOS, until the current version is running near-perfectly please for the majority of your users! Constantly having to update the iOS to cure one problem, only to then experience another, newer problem, is just a sick joke!

Feb 12, 2016 2:12 AM in response to campuslugentes

I Have had this issue since Feb 4, 2016. I have 9.2.1. On a iPhone 6s. If I can drive download to Mac Book Air then sync then new apps install. But existing apps do no update. Unfortunately not all apps can be accessed from a computer. More than a week is too long for this issue. I did a backup just in case. My iPad Air seemed to work Ok until today. Now it is having issues updating and downloading also. Does not matter which wifi network I connect to or if I try cellular still can not update or download. Now things are getting worse. Sometime I can't slide or type in apps. I have lots of apps and photos. I have deleted a lot to ensure space is not an issue. But still no solution. Trlied resetting all setting and nothing works. Please help us apple.

Feb 12, 2016 8:58 AM in response to PilaFashionDesign

This is not a total solution but problem can be solved for a while with quick fingers. Close your App Store app and then open it. It opens on the main page so press updates and Update All on the upper right corner instantly. There is less than half of a second to do it but then when you hit it iPhone to starts updating all the pending updates. Just took me like ten tries to do it but now they all 4 are updating as we speak. Anyway, Apple fix this!

May 2, 2016 9:13 AM in response to Flowers400

Try this: Open Apps Store and go to Updates tab. Now you will see "pending updates" but the button is open instead of "update". Press "home" button and open again apps store. You will see that there's a split seconds that the button will change from "updates" to "open". That is your chance to update one app. You need to be fast to update the app. Once you capture one app, the "Update All" will be available. Good luck and have fun. 😀

apps stuck on pending updates since 9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.