Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2015: Steps to reproduce buzzing sound of SSD

Hello,

I found out that my recently purchased Macbook Pro 13 early 2015 makes buzzing sounds when the SSD is being accessed. The guy on the support hotline was trying hard convincing me that any sounds other than from the fan is technically impossible. At the end he asked me to find a way on how to reproduce this. Per coincidence I found a more or less simple way in Safari to reproduce this issue. Don't worry, this won't harm your computer in any way. Here we go:

1. Launch Safari
  2. If you already activated developer menu in settings, continue with step 3. Else, continue here.
    1. Click on Safari in the menu bar and open 'Preferences...'
    2. Head to 'Advanced' tab
    3. Check 'Show Develop menu in menu bar'
  3. Open a webpage of your choice. E.g. www.google.com
  4. Right click anywhere and click on 'Inspect Element'
  5. On the right side of the new window you'll find a search bar. Below that you'll find 'Node', 'Styles', 'Layers'. Make sure to select 'Styles'
  6. Below there are the options 'Computed', 'Rules', 'Metrics'. Click on 'Computed'
  7. Below, activate 'Show all'

Now, when you scroll within that window and put your ears close to the keyboard, you may notice a buzzing sound.

Hopefully Apple will find a way to explain this issue.

Best

Michael

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 1:32 AM

Noise from Macbook Pro 15inch when SSD is being accessed

Having that issue too. Had it under examination for 3 times in an Apple Store, got it back and well, it was still there. They said they changed the logic board but obviously it didn't solve the problem :/

Seems that many MacBooks are having that issue with "coil-noise".

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2016 1:32 AM in response to michithebest

Noise from Macbook Pro 15inch when SSD is being accessed

Having that issue too. Had it under examination for 3 times in an Apple Store, got it back and well, it was still there. They said they changed the logic board but obviously it didn't solve the problem :/

Seems that many MacBooks are having that issue with "coil-noise".

MBP 2015: Steps to reproduce buzzing sound of SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.