Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphical issues with el capitan

Hi !

Since I installed el Capitan on my macbook pro 13" (mid 2012), I have some graphical issues and it seems to be worse now with the two last updates (10.11.1 and 10.11.2).

Problems:

• I can't watch videos (mp4) with VLC anymore, it is too slow. (I use mpv now)
  • When I watch some videos on youtube with Firefox (last version) some glitches appear.
  • And if I watch multiple videos in a row, OSX just logs out ...
  • PyMOL doesn't work anymore correctly (install with homebrew), graphical issues of course.

So everytime, a video or something like that is involved I have a graphical problem ...

Is anyone has the same troubles ?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), null

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 4:07 PM

10 replies

Dec 21, 2015 6:43 PM in response to NoExiiT

Please launch the Console application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

If you have an account on Pastebin, please don't select Private from the Paste Exposure menu on the page, because then no one but you will be able to see it.

Dec 22, 2015 2:48 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi David,

Here some logs:

Apparently, my GPU resets each time.

I didn't try to reproduce the log out event, I have some works going on ...

Thank you for your help.

Dec 22, 2015 3:31 AM in response to NoExiiT

If your MBP has a dual GPU, which I think it does, you may be able to avoid the problem by disabling Automatic Graphics Switching (System Preferences > Energy Saver).

C.

P.S. I'm assuming this option is still present in El Capitan, I don't have dual GPU system with EC installed to actually check.

Dec 22, 2015 4:45 AM in response to cdhw

No, my macbook pro doesn't have a dual GPU, just an Intel HD Graphics 4000 (1536 Mo).

Only the 15" model had a dual GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M + Intel HD Graphics 4000) in 2012 ...

Concerning the RAM, I actually have 8 Gb.

So I tried the RAM hypothesis. For that, I closed all the applications and start playing a video with VLC.

Results: The amount of RAM doesn't change anything at all, I have the same problem.

Dec 22, 2015 5:55 AM in response to NoExiiT

The logic board is faulty and will have to be replaced.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Graphical issues with el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.