Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

S.M.A.R.T Status : Not supported

Hi,

Suddenly I cannot read my External USB HD. It gives the message : (Disk you have inserted is not readeble by this computer)

When I check the Disk Utility, the info is as below ;

Disk Description : SanDisk Firebird Media Total Capacity : 67,1 MB (67 108 864 Bytes)

Connection Bus : USB Write Status : Read/Write

Connection Type : External S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported

USB Serial Number : 0123456789ABCDEF Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted

It does not show any other details.

My system info ;

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5 (14A389)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

Appreciate a quick support.

Thx.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 12:55 PM

This worked for me with my ScanDisk.

When you connect a hard drive to your Mac, it is connected but not necessarily mounted. Mounting a volume enables you to access its contents. (The reverse is also true: you can unmount a volume without ejecting the hard drive.)

Check to see if a hard drive is connected, but not mounted - and then mount a volume - by following these steps:

1. Open Disk Utility (choose Go > Utilities to find it).
  2. Check to see if you can find the hard drive in the list on the left.
  3. If you can see the hard drive, check underneath it for a volume. (If it is present it will be greyed out.)
  4. Highlight the volume and click the Mount icon.

Now open a Finder window and check under Devices to see the mounted hard drive

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2017 12:55 PM in response to gtopuz

This worked for me with my ScanDisk.

When you connect a hard drive to your Mac, it is connected but not necessarily mounted. Mounting a volume enables you to access its contents. (The reverse is also true: you can unmount a volume without ejecting the hard drive.)

Check to see if a hard drive is connected, but not mounted - and then mount a volume - by following these steps:

1. Open Disk Utility (choose Go > Utilities to find it).
  2. Check to see if you can find the hard drive in the list on the left.
  3. If you can see the hard drive, check underneath it for a volume. (If it is present it will be greyed out.)
  4. Highlight the volume and click the Mount icon.

Now open a Finder window and check under Devices to see the mounted hard drive

Dec 21, 2015 2:26 PM in response to gtopuz

The disk is not partitioned nor formatted.

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. After Disk Utility loads select the external flash drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the Disk Utility main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Steps 4-6 are optional but should be used on a drive that has never been formatted before, if the format type is not Mac OS Extended, if the partition scheme has been changed, or if a different operating system (not OS X) has been installed on the drive.

S.M.A.R.T Status : Not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.