Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVAST

How does a non-techie - uninstall AVAST?????

I dragged it to the trash, emptied the trash.

Tried to install norton, which gives me a message that it can't install because I have to remove Avast - which I thought I did.

I do a search in finder and my apps - I see no AVAST.

Getting errors and redirects in chrome.

Also errors saying my connection is not private when I try to buy something online that isnt on Amazon.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 7:32 PM

9 replies

Dec 22, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Bloom10

A program such as Avast that gets its hooks into all kinds of places in the operating system of your Mac should never ever be dragged to the Trash and then empty the the Trash. This method leaves behind all of the bits and pieces that cause havoc on your Mac.

The first method I would try to use to remove it is to install it again. Once you have reinstalled then used the uninstall procedure from Avast to remove it.

If that doesn't work you will probably have to reformat the disk drive and reinstall everything again from scratch without Avast.

Dec 27, 2015 11:02 PM in response to Bloom10

To uninstall Avast, you need to use the uninstaller included with its downloaded installer package. Using it will remove Avast completely. As deplorable a product as it happens to be, few programs offer an uninstaller that works with the effectiveness as Avast's.

If you attempted to remove it in any other way, the most expedient solution may be to install Avast all over again, for the sole purpose of uninstalling it correctly. There should be no need to erase your hard disk completely.

Do not use any so-called "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac, regardless of the source. As you discovered they will only cause problems. Please read Effective defenses against malware and other threats.

Dec 29, 2015 12:46 AM in response to Bloom10

please note, before I cleaned my hard drive and started from scratch, I tried all your suggestions posted here - also checking time, date settings. uninstall and reinstall avast twice according to directions, tried malware bytes, updated ios, downloaded update for ios, checked microsoft re SSL certificates, turned off firewall, checked for any accidental or antivirus triggered directives. Deleted all extensions, addons in chrome etc, Setup a second admin test user for an alt profile to test. And cleared all my cache and browsing history since the "beginning of time" nothing worked.

AVAST

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.