Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my photos are not deleting

So I have an iphone 5, evrything is backed up and I still have storage space to take photos. My issue is when I go into all photos, selct photos that I want to delete and then delete them, they havent deleted, I have tried this on my icloud and my ipad and the phots still wont delete.

At the same time I have taken phots in the last 24 hours and they are not showing up in my camera roll.

Can anyone shed any light on to this please

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 22, 2015 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 12:08 PM

HI there Florasmum,

It sounds like you are manually deleting photos but they aren't actually being removed and are still taking space and your recently taken photos aren't showing up in the camera roll. When you delete photos they are moved to a Recently Deleted album that automatically empties after 30 days in case you need one of them again. Luckily you can delete them manually as well:

Delete a photo or video from Photos. Tap the Photos tab, tap the photo or video, tap User uploaded file, then tap Delete Photo or Delete Video. Deleted photos and videos are kept in the Recently Deleted album on iPhone, with a badge showing the remaining days until the item is permanently removed from iPhone. To delete the photo or video permanently before the days expire, tap the item, tap Delete, then tap Delete Photo or Delete Video. If you use iCloud Photo Library, deleted photos and videos are permanently removed from all your devices using iCloud Photo Library with the same Apple ID.

As far as new photos not appearing I would first make sure you've checked in the All Photos album:

View all your photos and videos. By default, Photos displays a representative subset of your photos when you view by year or by collection. To see all your photos and videos, go to Settings > Photos & Camera, then turn off Summarize Photos.

If you have and they aren't there then something may not be indexing correctly so I would quit the Photos and the Settings apps:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, let us know how that goes so we can provide additional assistance if needed!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2015 12:08 PM in response to Florasmum

HI there Florasmum,

It sounds like you are manually deleting photos but they aren't actually being removed and are still taking space and your recently taken photos aren't showing up in the camera roll. When you delete photos they are moved to a Recently Deleted album that automatically empties after 30 days in case you need one of them again. Luckily you can delete them manually as well:

Delete a photo or video from Photos. Tap the Photos tab, tap the photo or video, tap User uploaded file, then tap Delete Photo or Delete Video. Deleted photos and videos are kept in the Recently Deleted album on iPhone, with a badge showing the remaining days until the item is permanently removed from iPhone. To delete the photo or video permanently before the days expire, tap the item, tap Delete, then tap Delete Photo or Delete Video. If you use iCloud Photo Library, deleted photos and videos are permanently removed from all your devices using iCloud Photo Library with the same Apple ID.

As far as new photos not appearing I would first make sure you've checked in the All Photos album:

View all your photos and videos. By default, Photos displays a representative subset of your photos when you view by year or by collection. To see all your photos and videos, go to Settings > Photos & Camera, then turn off Summarize Photos.

If you have and they aren't there then something may not be indexing correctly so I would quit the Photos and the Settings apps:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, let us know how that goes so we can provide additional assistance if needed!

my photos are not deleting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.