Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade an ipod touch iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 7.0?

Hi, I need help over here! I was wondering (if possible) that my old iPod Touch version iOS 4.2.1 can upgrade to iOS 7.0?

If yes, then please tell me right away.

Thank you,

MartinIsAwesome

iPod touch, Other OS, 4.2.1

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 6:09 AM

I suspect you have a 2G iPod. Those can only go to iOS 4.2.1. Are you sure you really do not have a 2G iPod? Those can only go to 4.2.1

Identifying iPod models

iPod touch (3rd generation)

iPod touch (3rd generation) features a 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display and 32 GB or 64 GB flash drive. You can browse the web with Safari and watch YouTube videos with Wi-Fi. You can also search, preview, and buy songs from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch.

The iPod touch (3rd generation) can be distinguished from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number. iPod touch (2nd generation) is model A1288, and iPod touch (3rd generation) is model A1318.

To update

The Settings>General>Software Update comes with iOS 5 and later.

Connect the iPod to your computer and update via iTunes as far as your iPod model allows

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

A 1G iPod can go to iOS 2.2 via iTunes and iOS 3.1.3 via

Purchasing iOS 3.1 Software Update for iPod touch (1st generation)

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/touchLegacyLandingPage

- A 2G to 4.2.1. Requires iTunes version 10 or higher. If a Mac it requires OSX 10.5.8 or later.

- A 3G to 5.1.1 Requires iTunes version 10.5 or later

- A 4G to 6.1.6 Requires iTunes version 10.7 or later. For a Mac, that requires a Mac with OSX 10.6.8 or later

- A 5G to iOS 9 Requires iTunes 11.4 or later if you update via iTunes

- A 6G to iOS 9 Requires iTunes 12,2 or later if you update via iTunes. If A Mac you need 10.7.5 or latter. If a PC Win 7 or later

Identifying iPod models

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2015 6:09 AM in response to MartinIsAwesome

I suspect you have a 2G iPod. Those can only go to iOS 4.2.1. Are you sure you really do not have a 2G iPod? Those can only go to 4.2.1

Identifying iPod models

iPod touch (3rd generation)

iPod touch (3rd generation) features a 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display and 32 GB or 64 GB flash drive. You can browse the web with Safari and watch YouTube videos with Wi-Fi. You can also search, preview, and buy songs from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch.

The iPod touch (3rd generation) can be distinguished from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number. iPod touch (2nd generation) is model A1288, and iPod touch (3rd generation) is model A1318.

To update

The Settings>General>Software Update comes with iOS 5 and later.

Connect the iPod to your computer and update via iTunes as far as your iPod model allows

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

A 1G iPod can go to iOS 2.2 via iTunes and iOS 3.1.3 via

Purchasing iOS 3.1 Software Update for iPod touch (1st generation)

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/touchLegacyLandingPage

- A 2G to 4.2.1. Requires iTunes version 10 or higher. If a Mac it requires OSX 10.5.8 or later.

- A 3G to 5.1.1 Requires iTunes version 10.5 or later

- A 4G to 6.1.6 Requires iTunes version 10.7 or later. For a Mac, that requires a Mac with OSX 10.6.8 or later

- A 5G to iOS 9 Requires iTunes 11.4 or later if you update via iTunes

- A 6G to iOS 9 Requires iTunes 12,2 or later if you update via iTunes. If A Mac you need 10.7.5 or latter. If a PC Win 7 or later

Identifying iPod models

How to upgrade an ipod touch iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 7.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.