Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting photos from Mac to PC

Hi

Recently got a MacBook Air, to replace an old Windows PC. Eventually got everything transferred over and decided that I could use my old PC as a backup for my pictures. Today I have exported all my pictures from 'Photos' to an external drive (FAT32) and can see the files on my Windows PC but when I go to look at the pictures they don't open - errors such as 'unknown or invalid JPEG marker' / 'not a file that Quicktime understands' / 'viewer doesn't support this file format'.

What have I done wrong? Is there a specific way I should be exporting these pictures so that they are viewable on a PC? Sort of restricts ever going back to a PC if Im not able to do so?

Thanks in advance

Nigel

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 8:24 AM

Sorry, just realised I was being stupid .... there are '._IMG' files and 'IMG' files in my directory, which I presume is a Mac thing. The 'IMG' files are working fine.

Thanks, I'll try and delete this thread now to avoid my embarrassment!!

3 replies

Dec 23, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Nigel82

The general steps to do this are to select the photos in Photos and export (file menu ==> export - if the full export window is not shown click the v oto the right of JPEG to open all of the options) to a desktop folder and then move that folder to the PC - if it fine to use a FAT32 formatted drive as both the Mac and the PC are happy with that (note you can not put your Photos library on a FAT drive but can put exported photos on it)

LN

Exporting photos from Mac to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.