Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DV's & CD's -- how to read & write them in OSX10.11?

2 questions. Background/observations: I upgraded my MacBook Pro (13", mid 2012 version) to OS X 10.11.2. (from OS X 10.9.5) Now every CD and DVD I put into the drive has been rejected. I insert a new DVD, and it is rejected out of hand. I ask it to burn a disk, then inert the DVD, and it still rejects it.

I insert a CD, and it barely 'looks' at it before rejecting the disk. Am I no longer able to play songs from my own CD's? Really?

Question 1: How do I burn files/folders to a new DVD?

Question 2: How do I read a music CD? And import it into my iTunes db? Once upon a time if I put in a CD it automatically launched iTunes, played the contents & offered to import the files. I miss that.

When those are answered, I will someday wish to read a CD of a new app. This may be a subset of Question 2, may not.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 12:37 PM

6 replies

Dec 23, 2015 9:14 PM in response to Barney-15E

SMC, NVRAM - that's getting pretty deep for a "simple" upgrade, is it not? I will try them soon. A month or 3 ago, using the same machine with OS X 10.9.5, I fell into a no-ressponse situation - can't wake it, can't shut it down & restart.[No battery removal on this MB Pro, either.] Suddenly it did respond (remove the power cable, or attach it back on - one of them worked) and then the Help person led me through the SMC reset.

The list of functions controlled by the SMC does not include the DVD drive. We'll see if an SMC reset does good.

DV's & CD's -- how to read & write them in OSX10.11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.