Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove all iBooks 4.6 (3430) documents & data

How can I delete all documents and data in iBooks 4.6 (3430)?

Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Storage: Manage Storage > iBooks shows that 1.4 GB of Documents & Data are consumed. My goal is to reduce this to less than 100 MB.

In iBooks I've selected all two items in All Books and have tapped the Delete button. The items now exist with a cloud download icon

I've also gone into iBooks on OS X and have hidden all extraneous purchased iBooks.

Settings > iBooks has the following settings changed from default:

Sync Bookmarks and Notes: off

Sync Collections: off

Online Content: off

Settings > iTunes & App Store has AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS Books set off.

I've restarted my iPod and iBooks is still consuming 1.4 GB.

iPod touch, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2015 11:19 AM

iBooks is now consuming 2.0 GB of storage.

Apparently it downloaded a number of previously purchased books without my permission. Opening iBooks again I found a number of books back in my collection that I had previously deleted. I selected the books, then selected delete. These books are now gone since I have also chosen to hide these books using iBooks on OS X in my account settings, but a number of books and collections still appear in my iBooks collection. Selecting them does not give the provision to delete. They are either collections, books that exist in the cloud (with an iCloud download icon overlay), or links to a iBooks store entry for the missing book.

After doing this, iBooks is still consuming 2.0 GB of storage.

I want to just remove all of it from my iPod touch, including all vestigial book aliases, collections, and pointers to iBooks store pages. I would delete iBooks app from the device entirely if I could.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Stephen Downs

iBooks is now consuming 2.0 GB of storage.

Apparently it downloaded a number of previously purchased books without my permission. Opening iBooks again I found a number of books back in my collection that I had previously deleted. I selected the books, then selected delete. These books are now gone since I have also chosen to hide these books using iBooks on OS X in my account settings, but a number of books and collections still appear in my iBooks collection. Selecting them does not give the provision to delete. They are either collections, books that exist in the cloud (with an iCloud download icon overlay), or links to a iBooks store entry for the missing book.

After doing this, iBooks is still consuming 2.0 GB of storage.

I want to just remove all of it from my iPod touch, including all vestigial book aliases, collections, and pointers to iBooks store pages. I would delete iBooks app from the device entirely if I could.

Dec 30, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Stephen Downs

iBooks is now consuming 2.5 GB of storage. I haven't even opened the app up since last reporting it was consuming 2.0 GB of storage.

I then opened iBooks back up to see a number of books that I deleted have made their way back into my All Books listing. Deleting these books once again, then checking storage usage of iBooks still shows 2.5 GB of storage consumed.

This is out of control and causing out of storage messages to appear on the device.

Jan 31, 2016 4:42 PM in response to lchaulk

No, the issue is still not fixed even after updating to iOS 9.2.1. iBooks is still consuming 3.0 GB of storage (it went down 0.1 GB).

Immediately after I delete books in iBooks (as described above), a download process icon appears to the right. I then have to delete them again. Worse, iBooks seems to be re-downloading books in the background, even when iBooks is not actively running, even when I have disabled all iCloud and iBook syncing related settings. Upon opening iBooks again, I see the same books, which I have to again delete. This deletion is not really freeing up any storage. The deletion doesn't seem to actually delete anything.

Mar 9, 2016 9:42 AM in response to AMill15

I also had this problem, but on my iPhone, and it drove me crazy. I tried all the same things you did. I finally contacted apple support for ibooks yesterday via the online chat service and they had me connect to iTunes and restore the phone. After everything was reloaded onto the phone from my iCloud backup, I deleted the copies of the books one last time and they have stayed gone so far. I think it ended up helping with other apps too, because I now have tons of available space and didn't change or delete anything else. So, maybe it's worth looking into-- apple support was really helpful in walking me through what to do. Good luck!

Mar 30, 2016 7:06 AM in response to charlottefromedinburgh

Hi Charlotte,

Sure. I did it in kind of a roundabout way. I went to the Apple Support website https://getsupport.apple.com/, picked the Apps option and then iOS Apps. I chose "topic not listed" and the described the problem. They asked if I would like to call customer support or do an online chat and I chose the latter. I started with iBooks customer support because I wasn't sure what the problem was, but they then transferred me to technical support. I hope this helps!

Remove all iBooks 4.6 (3430) documents & data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.