Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking noise rMBP 13" Early 2015

My brand new Macbook Pro w/ Retina Display is making weird metallic clicking noise every once in a while even when placed on a flat surface. Even if I disconnect everything, including the charging cable and the mouse and watch a video with the sound turned off or browse internet, it still makes this sound, (like metal touching metal kind of sound) around 5-6 times a day. Usually it's faint, but it still is very annoying.

There's no HDD that could cause it. Although it sounds quite similar.

If you are using a similar notebook, please report if you can hear any sounds (not just these) in similar setup, say, in 1 hour, while browsing with a mouse and not even touching it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), null

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2016 8:30 AM

I have the same kind of issue. I get a ticking noise similar to that of hard drive click. It seems completely random but I think it's connected to the fan. I've heard the clicking noise while shutting down the computer and when increasing the fan speed. But it's completely random and unpredictable.

2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13", OS X 10.11.2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2016 8:30 AM in response to FreeONmos

I have the same kind of issue. I get a ticking noise similar to that of hard drive click. It seems completely random but I think it's connected to the fan. I've heard the clicking noise while shutting down the computer and when increasing the fan speed. But it's completely random and unpredictable.

2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13", OS X 10.11.2

Apr 30, 2016 12:49 AM in response to FreeONmos

I have exactly the same issue. After using MBP 13 early 2015 for 4 months, the problem has begun. I've tested many things.

• I Reset PRAM & SMC, it didnt help
  • I used Apple Hardware Test (AHT) and it didn't find any problem.
  • I used many other apps (GPU stress test & CPU stress test & SSD Read and write stress test & bench mark apps) to see when exactly it happens but it is completely random.

As I am living in Iran and there is no official Apple store & no Genius bar here, I had no other way except opening the the back door and see what can cause that. The sounds noticeably come from Fan & wireless card.

While the Fan was off still I could here the clicking noise so I am sure it is not the Fan. I turned off the wireless from menu bar and the clicking noise was still there.

I have no idea, what can cause that and it is really frustrated me.

If any one find the reason please reply on this thread.

Clicking noise rMBP 13" Early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.