Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to factory reset and keep photos and contacts

Well, as the title asks, and let me add this: NO, NOT with the "backup" feature. That destroys the whole purpose of the factory reset.

I have some weird bugs i want to get rid off. Such as Alarm not going off (yes i was late a couple of time because of that), getting a Facebook message, an iMessage, or any other notification and despite the fact i got it like 2 hours ago, it might say that it happened like 2 minutes ago (that happened through my latest "backup-update-restorebackup".

The Alarm bug is hunting me since i started taking backups with my iPhone 4s all the way to iPhone 6 Plus.

And just to throw in some more info since am not an amateur: No, i do not use OTA updates, i have tried wiping the whole phone and restoring the latest (or not latest) backup but i cant get rid of all the bugs. Some new might pop out, while others will extinct, but that annoying Alarm bug wont go away.

So to sum up, i want to start fresh but keeping photos and contacts is essential. I want to be able to use my iPhone at its best.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2017 9:22 AM

You are correct, now I am getting confused. You can use the phone but the Apple ID and passcode are still linked to the prior employee. When you are trying to update any apps, it is asking for the passcode associated with that prior ID. Apps are tied to the ID and passcode used to download them. To change that, you would need to delete those apps and repurchase them with your ID and passcode. When you go to settings - iCloud, does that show the prior persons ID? It the same when you go to settings - iTunes & App Store, what ID is there? You can try to find a passcode to an Apple ID here: https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid but you will need information entered by the person who created it. I still think that there is an iCloud activation lock on the phone which would prevent you from wiping it and setting up as a new device. Hopefully we can get this worked out.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2017 9:22 AM in response to Foofi

You are correct, now I am getting confused. You can use the phone but the Apple ID and passcode are still linked to the prior employee. When you are trying to update any apps, it is asking for the passcode associated with that prior ID. Apps are tied to the ID and passcode used to download them. To change that, you would need to delete those apps and repurchase them with your ID and passcode. When you go to settings - iCloud, does that show the prior persons ID? It the same when you go to settings - iTunes & App Store, what ID is there? You can try to find a passcode to an Apple ID here: https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid but you will need information entered by the person who created it. I still think that there is an iCloud activation lock on the phone which would prevent you from wiping it and setting up as a new device. Hopefully we can get this worked out.

Dec 23, 2015 1:24 PM in response to OmgOmgHax

You could turn on Settings > iCloud > Contacts and Settings > iCloud > Photos > iCloud Photo Library and then wait to insure that all of the Contacts and Photos have uploaded to https://www.icloud.com/ -- You can log in to that site via a computer to insure that they are there. After erasing all content and settings, turn on Settings > iCloud > Contacts and Settings > iCloud > Photos > iCloud Photo Library for the contacts and photos to sync back to your phone.

Another option would be (and a good idea anyway) to import the photos to a computer via Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer - Apple Support and sync your contacts to a computer and then use iTunes to sync the photos back after the reset.

Jan 27, 2017 3:33 AM in response to kb1951

My apologies I have not replied yesterday, but got stuck in the train without reception! Is my understanding correct, that I can create new Apple ID and iCloud and use it with this phone? I am not quite sure how i could get rid of the current iCloud account, will it get removed instantly when i sign in with new Apple ID?

Also, all the photos are backed up with the current iCloud account, if i sign in with new details I guess they will be lost.

I am not worried about the apps, as, as you said, I can buy them again, but I cannot lose contacts, photos and current emails. Managers think that you can just simply upload the required details onto computer, wipe the phone and downloaded back to the clean phone... thats why i would like to create an office ID, so whoever uses the phone after me, will not need to struggle like me and will be able to use the phone immediately.

Jan 27, 2017 7:26 AM in response to Foofi

I will be in and out today. This article may help you get started too: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351. For photos, you should be able to download them to a computer like you would with any digital camera. Depending on the e-mail program and the account that is used for them right now, you may need to reenter that account once the phone is set up again. Contacts should be stored in a program like iCloud. That is where I have all my contacts. I will get back when I can. And again, good luck with this.

Jan 26, 2017 8:19 AM in response to OmgOmgHax

I have a similar problem. I have been given a company mobile, there is an iCloud account, whatsapp etc. with the details of the person who is no longer with the company and no one knows any passwords. I need to wipe the phone and i guess set new accounts, sync my company email, etc., but have to keep contacts and photos. Is there any way to set new iCloud acc first and replace the old one, so I can store photos and contacts on iCloud and then wipe it down? Whats the best solution?

Many thanks in advance.

Jan 26, 2017 9:00 AM in response to kb1951

Many thanks for your reply, but I think i have not explained it properly. I can use the mobile, can make calls, etc., as i know the passcode, i can access the company emails, which are already there and whatever else is there, but i need to update whatsapp, as it stopped working and it is asking for apple id, which i have, but do not have the password and whatever i want to change, i have been asked for apple password, which, again, i don't have. I have done the back up now, but i don't want to wipe the phone down now and then realise that the back top will not bring the photos and contacts back. Also, i will need to create new company Apple ID for this phone, which i am not sure is possible.

Jan 26, 2017 9:30 AM in response to kb1951

The more I look into the phone, more problems I find. I am the 3rd employee using this phone. iCloud shows the 2nd employee's details and just now I was able to restore the password, as I have access to iCloud emails on the phone. But when i wanted to update whatsapp, its is asking for the 1st user's password, and her details are not shown anywhere in settings, so I will not be able to reset the 1st original password. I would like to remove all that mess and instead of having personal names, just set up an "office" Apple ID. Is it possible to create new Apple ID and new iCloud for this phone? And if it is possible, how can I get rid of all the stuff except contacts, email and company photos?

I hope I didn't complicate the question more than it already is...

Many thanks once again for helping me out on this.

Jan 26, 2017 10:15 AM in response to Foofi

If you can sign out of iCloud with the prior users information that will be the first step. Also sign out of ITunes and App Store. Then you should be able to set up a new ID. As I said, apps are tied to the ID and passcode used to purchase them. You would need to delete them and repurchase them with a new ID and passcode. See how that goes. You may also want to talk to your managers about how they manage employee use of phones going forward so this doesn't happen again.

Also, just to let you know, I will be unavailable to reply in about an hour. I will check in later tonight to see how it went. Good luck.

Jan 31, 2017 6:11 AM in response to kb1951

Finally it has been sorted, i've spent 1.5hrs on the phone with Apple, as they didn't have a straight answer to my problem either.

There is an option to download (from iCloud) and keep original photos on the phone, I have also downloaded them to my computer, just in case (NOT the back up), then you need to sign out of iCloud, which means you need to turn off "find my iPhone" and switch all iCloud storing options, if you do not want them to be deleted, e.g. notes. Creating new apple ID is easy, but signing up with the new Apple ID to iTunes store is a bit tricky, because you need to confirm the previous details (login and password)! Luckily I had them, otherwise i would not be able to get any apps.

The last thing is to set up new iCloud account, once you log in with your new details, it is asking you whether you wish to keep previously stored data on the phone or delete it. Keeping means you keep all the current contacts, not sure what else is included in this. Everything went well except one thing, i have kept the original photos on the phone and i have switched to iCloud option with my new iCloud account, but for some reason photos do not appear in iCloud now, even though the icloud storage space hs been used for this. Signing in and out does not help and i really have no idea how to get them displayed in iCloud (on the computer) again.

Many thanks for your help, you have given me very useful hints.

How to factory reset and keep photos and contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.