Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Early 2008 - Won't wake from sleep

Hi there.

This morning, while charging my iphone 6 via usb, my MacBook Pro went into sleep mode and has not recovered. My machine runs 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and have maxed out my RAM and installed a SSD, myself, months ago. Prior to this I have never had this problem, at least nothing that a hard re-start could not fix. Today's malfucntion comes as a total surprise--but don't they all. . .

Using previous posts in this forum I have taken the following troubleshoot steps:

1. Hard re-set, even so far as removing the battery. The computer's sleep light went black and the fan silent--it powered off. Whenever I power back on, immediately the machine powers up, making the "zipper" sound made when waking from sleep. However the screen does not change nor any apple chime or message. It is as if it is still stuck in sleep mode.

2. I have tried resetting the SMC, but by powering on and immediately holding Shift key; and holding Power down 5 seconds with battery and A/C unplugged.

3. I have tried resetting NVRAM by powering on and immediately holding down Command-Option-P-R.

So far nothing has worked, but these steps have made me aware of two symptoms that may hold the key to the problem: The Apple back-light does not come on, but the sleep light is on. What seems strange to me is the Sleep light is not "breathing", but the light does dim when the monitor is closed and brightens when the monitor is fully opened--so light sensitivity is functioning.

So I humbly ask this board, does anyone have any similar experiences or more troubleshooting ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 6:11 PM

1 reply

Dec 25, 2015 6:25 AM in response to whocareswow

Hi there,

I understand that your Mac will not power on. I see you've attempted to reset the SMC, but the steps you've taken are incorrect. The proper steps for resetting the SMC on your computer are as follows:

On Mac notebooks with removable battery

Older MacBook and MacBook Pro computers have removable batteries. Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for five seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

If your Mac fails to boot after resetting the SMC, then your next options are to replace your 3rd party memory and drive with the factory components:

1. If you recently installed memory or a drive in your Mac, make sure it's compatible, supported, and installed correctly. If possible, reinstall the original memory or drive to see if the issue persists.
  2. If your Mac still won't start up after you've tried each of these steps, visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for further diagnosis. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar (available in some countries only).
    Diagnostic fees may apply for issues not covered under warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP).

If your Mac won‘t turn on

Take care.

MBP Early 2008 - Won't wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.