Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ePub links in iBooks on Mac are blank

I have been successfully able to open an ePub both on iOS and Mac and is transferring highlights and notes. My problem is that on the Mac, all the links show up as blank windows. I checked the same ePub on iOS and the links work fine.

The odd time a portion of the link will be visible then is covered over with a white box. I am able to close the link by pressing "Done" as normal.

To add to the issue, smaller links work, however it is the larger reference links that are showing up as blank.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 5:14 PM

8 replies

Jun 23, 2016 4:30 PM in response to Raicya

Nope Sorry.

- OSX 10.11.5 iTunes - 12.4.1.6. Symptoms

click link in ePub and pop up window opens

scroll bar on right is at bottom of page

when you scroll up you get some of the data from the link but not all of it - it appear like a white box is covering up some of the info

click done the popup goes away

click another link the data from the first link you clicked pops up - not the data from the new link

close and click another link - same thing . window pops up but the data from the very first link appears.

now only data from the very first link shows no matter which link you click on.

here is the source epub file. https://www.jw.org/download/?issue=201609&output=html&pub=mwb&fileformat=EPUB%2C MOBI%2CPDF%2CRTF%2CBRL&alllangs=0&langwritten=E&txtCMSLang=E&isBible=0

just select the epub download option.

a resolution to this would be very good

regards

Jul 14, 2016 4:08 PM in response to hananias

silence on this matter has been golden.

Considering our future is electronic sharing and ePub is a standard that is not good.

That these things (epubs with links) tend to work with commercial offerings but don't seem to work with default APPLE software such as iBooks is a statement about APPLE.

Why would anyone trust or believe a company that gives you something that only half works. If others can make their software work, with the links, why not APPLE?

Fact is I work with iBooks and it is too hard to change stuff at the moment. I will in time.

In the meantime i have a workaround that will work but is restricted. The books I want to read are available in both ePub and in Mobi. I now download the books in mobi. I then use Calibre to convert it to an ePub. I then open the converted book with iBooks and the links work fine. So if Calibre can handle the process of conversion, error correction or whatever, why cant Apple / iBooks. Calibre is FREE. Certainly a better class of free that Apple iBooks software in my opinion.

the restriction of course is you need to download first in Mobi. I tried downloading epubs and using calibre to convert them in to other epubs but no joy, perhaps i was doing something wrong. anyway i have something that works for me.

won't be saying anything nice about apple or apple software to anyone. no recommendations will be found here.

Sep 13, 2016 5:48 PM in response to jorpollacco

I have this same problem as well. I've very very occasionally had it work, but most of the time it doesn't.

I believe it could be related to the formatting of the creator of the ePub. There's reference to an ePub from jw.org below and it could be the way the publisher of that document formats the material that iBooks is not compatible with.

It's worth pointing out too that Apple does not read these forums. These forums are for users to help users. The best way to tell Apple about this problem is by filling out the Feedback form. http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

I did fill out this form myself but if more people fill out this form mentioning the same problem, then there is a higher likelihood that it will be addressed.

ePub links in iBooks on Mac are blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.