Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Mac during initial Time Machine backup and simple partition question

MacBook Pro, mid-2009, 4 GB RAM, 2.26 GHz, 1 TB HD, running Maverick's 10.9.5

About to implement a new backup strategy and have a few basic questions. Currently using Time Machine to back up to a 2 TB Time Capsule but about to change to rotating backups to two 4 TB external drives. I'd love to use FIrewire, but that's not an option as I live in S. America, adapters are non-existent here, and I've been unable to find any online for my drives that can be shipped to me. USB 2, slow as it may be, is my only option so I'm aware the initial backup will be slow. Also, I'm aware that only using Time Machine may not be the most optimal strategy, but it's good enough for me. There is nothing on my computer that would shatter my existence if I lost everything.

I'll be backing up just over 500GB from my internal drive.

My first question is, understanding the initial backups will take quite a bit of time, how much can I use my Mac during the backup? I won't be adding or changing any files, mostly internet surfing and listening to iTunes. I may do some work in Aperture, but nothing important. Only continuing with a class so I'm not concerned if the files I practice on lose changes or otherwise. Am I correct in understanding that Time Machine does a second run through for files that were in use or perhaps changed during the backup?

Second question is about partitioning the drives. With sufficient space (for now) on my internal drive, the two external drives will only be used for Time Machine backups. I would think one partition would be fine since I don't need them for other storage. Curious if two partitions might be better. My thinking being that drives that are at or near full capacity don't run as well and I don't see needing 4 TB's worth of backups. Is there a benefit to creating a second partition that will remain unused so that the drive maxes out it's capacity before 100%? If so, how large should I make these two partitions? Should I set aside a certain amount on a second partition preemptively now, in case in the future I do need to use that space for non-Time Machine storage, or better to cross that bridge should I get to it? I think I'd be fine with 3 TB (or even less) of Time Machine backups.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Dec 24, 2015 7:05 AM

1 reply

Dec 24, 2015 8:45 AM in response to ironchefchris

My first question is, understanding the initial backups will take quite a bit of time, how much can I use my Mac during the backup

You can use it as much as you want. Worst case, it may be a little slower.

The next backup should backup files that were in use.

. Is there a benefit to creating a second partition that will remain unused so that the drive maxes out it's capacity before 100%?

No benefit that I am aware of. You can always add the partition later if you find you need it.

Using Mac during initial Time Machine backup and simple partition question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.