Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashes while working on Squarespace website

Safari crashes while working on my squarespace website then reloads. It also freezes or does not allow scrolling in one part of the site.

I have version 9.0.2 Yosemite 10.10.5 on an older iMac (2007) upgraded 6GB memory. I have emptied the cache and checked for add ons, I had one but it is not turned on any longer. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 24, 2015 11:18 AM

11 replies

Dec 24, 2015 6:10 PM in response to jbbarryville

Please start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Dec 26, 2015 10:55 AM in response to jbbarryville

I tried this Recovery, finding no help with a clean copy of Safari unless it automatically does that, also used Restore from Time Machine. Which seems to have disconnected useful Photoshop. I can't tell if this has done anything as I need to work on the website for a time before it usually crashed. One other problem

of no scrolling in an unlinked section still will not scroll.

To answer Eric Root, yes this is the only website this does this on, but it's the only website I am authorized to make content changes in. Thanks John

Dec 27, 2015 8:24 AM in response to jbbarryville

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

Dec 28, 2015 7:26 AM in response to jbbarryville

Linc In my recovery mode there is 4 options, I tried 2 but neither allowed me to test anything during that time. I could reload an entire new version of Yosemite with Safari but that is the only option I found on line. I probably will not be going back to that mode as it disables the licensing from Adobe creative suite. The entire process made the computer seem to function faster and I have not had time to work on the website so I don't know if it still crashes or not.

Eric I had done the web history , cache cleaning and shutdown extensions earlier. I will go back in to see which I have pulled out as it may have had some effect.

John

Jan 13, 2016 9:58 AM in response to jbbarryville

I manage over a dozen Squarespace sites so the bulk of my time is spent in Squarespace's config mode. I too am experiencing this and have been since the latest Safari update before the holidays. It happens with all Squarespace sites and is very frustrating. I'm having to switch to Chrome to get work done.

I have reached out to Squarespace support and they did not respond. There is a forum post on their support site which was closed with the excuse that the problem was not reproducible.

I actually just got my 1-year-old iMac 5K back from Apple from having a bad RAM chip and had to do a clean install of the OS since it caused me to corrupt it when I was using Disk Utility to troubleshoot. And I did a clean install - not a restore from Time Machine backup. So this is not a caching issue.

I still need to try and see if Ghostery is causing the crash. I've disabled it in the past to no avail, but I wonder if it's installed if it causes the problem which persists even after disabling/uninstalling. The problem is I don't have time for troubleshooting...

I hope this info helps. I know it's not a solution. Just wanted to commiserate. 🙂

Jan 13, 2016 10:06 AM in response to dePaula

de Paula This did begin happening after the recent Safari update. I did do a recovery from time machine and it put me back couple Safari versions. Now it crashes after about 5 minutes of working and I still cannot scroll in unlinked pages. When I did get through to Square space they suggested Chrome, which in my case did not do better than I have. They also suggested certain extensions and caches to remove I will re research before posting.

Feb 4, 2016 5:44 AM in response to jbbarryville

I have been having the Squarespace crash problem for months and today I discovered this message from Squarespace:

Note for Safari users: We’re aware of the issue with Safari 9 sporadically crashing on certain Squarespace sites. This is a bug within Safari, and we've identified the issue on Apple's end, which is a bug deep within WebKit. Apple has acknowledged the bug, but we don't have an ETA for when Apple will push a fix. As an alternative, use a different supported browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Feb 4, 2016 5:51 AM in response to pastmaps

Going to Chrome did not fully do it for me , but I have a lot less trouble after going through the Recovery mode with Time Machine and it reverted my safari back to 8.0.6. It did also screw up Photo Shop and dropped out some other files but time machine was not up to date. Hopefully someone will work out the bug before I need to go back to Safari 9

Safari crashes while working on Squarespace website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.