Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I do when I insert a blank DVD and NOTHING happens?

I'm running Mac OS X 10.9.5. I want to burn files (jpg and MOV) to a DVD. I insert a DVD (as documented in Help) and NOTHING happens. I tried going into the Disk utility, selecting the drive then selecting Burn. It tells me to select the files I want to burn. I can select a folder but the jpg and mov files are all greyed out and not selectable. I have tried Sony -R and Sony +R to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Dec 24, 2015 12:45 PM

5 replies

Dec 24, 2015 1:48 PM in response to rjh213

Update - I have a Superdrive that came with the iMac. I tried resetting my USB ports with command-option-p-r at startup. Still no disk shows up on desktop when inserted and still cannot select any images from "burn" option in Disk Utility, even though I get the message to select files to burn. This is very frustrating.

Dec 26, 2015 11:04 AM in response to rjh213

I have tried the trouble shooting steps to no avail, including unplugging and booting in safe mode.

I discovered that when I insert a R/W DVD it will show up on the desktop allowing me to click on it and open the contents. However, when I go into the Disk Utility and select Burn, when it presents a window to select files, it still will not let me click on a file name.

This iMac is only about 2 years old. I know I have burned DVDs before, and inserting a blank one worked as documented, showing up on the desktop and allowing me to give it a name and burn to it.

I hate to spend the money on a product to clean the optical drive if I don't need to. I wouldn't think that's a problem since I can read what's on my R/W disc. If I have to buy a cleaner, that would frustrate me because I have had multiple Dell computers for a combined 20 years with multiple burners that have never had a problem.

What do I do when I insert a blank DVD and NOTHING happens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.