Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to make a note on mac only?

I want to be able to make some notes that do not sync with iCloud. In other words I want to have notes that reside in the notes program on my MAC that are not synced (and taking up iCloud storage). These are notes that I do not need to see on my phone or iPad.

How can I do this?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 25, 2015 1:12 PM

6 replies

Dec 25, 2015 3:03 PM in response to sberman

I must have every note in iCloud and none that reside only on the MAC.

So that brings up two questions:

1) How can i move notes (while working on my MAC in notes) from iCloud to only on my MAC?

2) When I make a note on my MAC how do I insure it is on my MAC only and not in iCloud?

3) Can I make a note on my iPhone that is not in the cloud?

Dec 25, 2015 3:08 PM in response to desiredaliasnewzealand

You can store notes on your mac (only) if you want. It's hidden by default.

In Notes, go to the Notes menu and select the menu item "On my Mac" account.

Then in the sidebar (you may need to show the sidebar) you'll see an "On my Mac" section with subfolders. Any notes you put there will stay there and not sync to other devices. If you have notes that are in iCloud that you want to only be on your Mac, simply drag them to a folder under "On my Mac."

Dec 25, 2015 3:10 PM in response to desiredaliasnewzealand

The On My Mac notes category is inaccessible if you store notes on one or more network servers, such as iCloud, and there are none stored locally.

In the Internet Accounts preference pane, please disable all Notes synchronization by unchecking the corresponding box in all mail accounts with which you now sync. The data should be retained on the servers, but it would be wise to back it up anyway by following the instructions in this support article.

Quit and relaunch Notes. The database will be empty. Create a new note. From the View menu, select

Show Folders List

if the list isn't already showing. You should now see On My Mac. Re-enable synchronization. Relaunch Notes again. Your synced notes should reappear.

how to make a note on mac only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.