Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple tv (4 gen) home sharing not working

Apple tv (4 gen) homesharing not working with itunes 11 despite using same network. Help please

iMac

Posted on Dec 25, 2015 1:44 PM

2 replies

Feb 5, 2016 9:31 AM in response to oddjob222

Looking around the Internet, this is a HUGE issue with El Capitan (EC). Home Sharing is not working correctly between desktops running EC and Apple TV (4th Gen). There are a dozen or so different work-arounds that people have figured out, but none of them seem to stick. Every day I look for a new update to either iTunes, Apple TV, or EC that addresses this issue, but no luck thus far.

Fix #1

1. Open System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
  2. Open Sharing pane.
  3. Double-click the name of your Mac in the Computer Name field
  4. Delete and rename your computer
  5. Close Sharing pane. System Preferences will automatically saves the new name.
  6. Go to iTunes.
  7. Quit iTunes and launch it again

Fix #2

1. Open iTunes
  2. Open preferences
  3. Click Sharing icon
  4. Ensure you have checked the box for sharing your library on your local network
  5. Quit iTunes and launch it again

Both of these "fixes" work for some people and not others, and most of the time are intermittent - sometimes movies will cut out while people are watching them. This is a HUGE issue that I wish Apple would address. I can't stream movies that are on my desktop's iTunes!!

Feb 14, 2016 9:30 PM in response to MJG196

I have narrowed down the issue to my Apple TV. For some reason, the Apple TV is not always handshaking with my iMac's iTunes. If I restart the ATV system a few times, my iTunes library appears, but more often than not I get the "Turn on Home Sharing" message. A software issue for sure. Thanks, Apple. Another great "Update."

Apple tv (4 gen) home sharing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.