Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Battery Capacity Issues

Hi Guys!

Some months ago, I bought my used Macbook Air 13' Mid-2013 i7, 8GB, 256GB. One month later, randomly the MBA turns off (not shutdown, just "dies")... I tried to reset the SMC, and nothing. When using it on the charger there are no issues, but when I remove the charger, sometimes, it just turn off again. So I ran apple diagnostic, and the result was a defect battery (PPT004). Using CoconutBattery app I checked the status of the battery, and capacity was at 87% (6261mAh) with 269 cycles, and OS X battery status is at normal. So I bought a new battery (Apple original), and replaced it, since then without problems, until these days... 😟

I have unexpected freezings and system/app crashes (happened before with the old battery too). Checking at CoconutBattery the capacity is at 89% (6404mAh) with 11 cycles and is just aprox. 1 month in usage. So i ran apple diagnostic again, and again the result was a defect battery (PPT004). WAT?

So, I don't know if the battery is the problem again, or something else, and I don't know what to do.

Anyone had the same problem? What can I do?

Here is a print of the CoconutBattery app history ():

User uploaded file

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Felipe

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), Mid-2013 13'

Posted on Dec 26, 2015 4:22 AM

6 replies

Dec 26, 2015 10:04 AM in response to valtlfelipe

Apple requires that their technicians or those of AASPs install batteries in Macbook Airs. This makes me wonder if you really have a genuine Apple replacement battery. Regardless, the solution for the battery error that the diagnostics is to take the MBA to an Apple store or AASP. They should have better diagnostic tests available that should allow then to define what is wrong.

You can try the SMC again and reinstall the OSX. If there is no change, then professional services will be required.

Ciao.

Dec 29, 2015 3:29 AM in response to yourmacexpert

yourmacexpert wrote:

"Apple requires that their technicians or those of AASPs install batteries in Macbook Airs."

Not true, at least not in the United States, where federal law prohibits linking warranties to using factory-approved parts or service.

The law that covers this is known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You can read more about it at this link.

Very interesting. Not knowing the law itself, and assuming the article interprets it correctly, there is a conflict. The only way to resolve that is in court. If you try to purchase a battery at Apple at the present time, to install it yourself, you will be rebuffed.

Ciao.

Macbook Air Battery Capacity Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.