Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Transmitter and Charger for iPod Classic

Hi,

I am looking for a Bluetooth Transmitter for my iPod Classic,.. that also has a pass-thru to allow it to be plugged in to charge the iPod. Preferably with a USB connection to do the charging.

My old iPod Classic does not have Bluetooth, so the adaptor is so that I can pair it with wireless speakers. And hopefully also pair it with a remote control to control playback.

And the pass-thru is to plug into the USB charger in the car….. or into the USB socket in the house to keep the iPod charged.

I have searched the internet, but not having any success in finding one.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 26, 2015 5:17 AM

7 replies

Feb 11, 2017 11:48 AM in response to DaveBrock9

Hi, I had the same problem (wanted to use my iPod Classic in my car using bluetooth and during long rides the battery didn't last) and could not find a bluetooth adapter which also charges the iPod. Could not find a cable to support that either. I already had that bluetooth adapter. So I decided to create the missing cable myself and that worked fine. I bought a 30 pin extension cable (male/female) and a standard 30 pin USB cable. I cut of the 30 pin connector from the USB cable, opened the extension cable, connected all four USB wires to the appropriate wires in the extension cable, disconnected these wires from the 30 pin female connector except for ground which must of course stay connected to all connectors (30 pin male, 30 pin female and USB).

Dec 26, 2015 2:01 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hi Kenichi,

Thank you for your suggestion... arrigato.

I have heard that there is superior quality audio from the 30 pin connector than the headphone jack, so I am hoping to use the 30 pin connector

to somehow link to a Bluetooth Transmitter. So when at home I can playback through a HiFi system.

To complicate it further I am hoping to find some remote control, that could also control the playback on the iPod Classic presumably also using this

same Bluetooth Transmitter (+Receiver?)

Does anybody know of such a device... or combination of devices/adaptors that could work?

Thanks,

Dave

Dec 27, 2015 2:18 AM in response to DaveBrock9

DaveBrock9 wrote:

I have heard that there is superior quality audio from the 30 pin connector than the headphone jack, so I am hoping to use the 30 pin connector

to somehow link to a Bluetooth Transmitter.

The most significant issue when using the headphone output from an iPod Classic is that if your iPod was purchased within the EU (European Union), then maximum volume from that headphone socket is lower than the standard (non-EU) iPods (except, I believe, from very early iPods). What this means is that you will need to turn up the volume on your Hi-Fi amplifier in order to compensate for this. However, this lower input to the Hi-Fi amp can result in a wishy-washy* sound, even more lacking in bass than usual (see below).

If you're really determined, you could feed the headphone output from the iPod into a headphone amplifier first and then feed that into the bluetooth transmitter. That would allow you to boost the volume to the Hi-Fi amp, but be careful not to turn it up too far, which would simply cause distortion.

Even then, I find the Hi-Fi amp shows up the lack of bass from an iPod, so I add EQ as well. Not perfect and Hi-Fi geeks will probably disapprove, but since this is about compromise, it just depends on what you want to achieve.

* wishy-washy - (in this context) weak or ineffective.

Dec 28, 2015 10:56 AM in response to the fiend

From what I have heard previously, if one uses the headphone jack from the iPod, then the sound can be slightly deteriorated due to using the internal small sized amplifier within the iPod.

If one uses the 30 pin connection, then no internal iPod amplifier has been used, and thus the output is 'cleaner'. And then one uses an external superior quality HiFi amplifier to produce the best sound possible.

To facilitate this, I have found a Connector called PocketDock that fits the 30 pin on the iPod, and provides a 35mm standard stereo plug to output the sound, but also provides a USB (printer style) connector where one can charge the iPod at the same time.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

So that would mean then I could look for a suitable 35mm pin Transmitter that Kenichi suggested in his reply.

For those who are familiar with bypassing the internal iPod amp to produce the best sound.... does this make sense as a good route to get the best quality sound.... and also be able to charge the iPod at the same time?

I am also hoping to use this to connect the iPod to Bose Soundlink Mini 2 external speakers.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Dec 28, 2015 11:50 AM in response to DaveBrock9

DaveBrock9 wrote:

For those who are familiar with bypassing the internal iPod amp to produce the best sound.... does this make sense as a good route to get the best quality sound.... and also be able to charge the iPod at the same time?

Well, although I cannot offer a guarantee, it does look as though it will do the job. Make sure you buy the later version (Rev.B) though as the earlier version does not offer Line Out from some iPod models.

DaveBrock9 wrote:

I am also hoping to use this to connect the iPod to Bose Soundlink Mini 2 external speakers.

That should produce a good sound.

Note the comment I made previously about the lack of bass or the wishy-washy sound connecting to a Hi-Fi amplifier. A standard Hi-Fi amplifier is designed to sound best when using music on CD. It is not tailored to compensate for an iPod's "compressed" files, which is why the sound can be less than great. (Before anyone gets huffy and claims that Apples Lossless isn't compressed - in this context, yes it is.)

But the Bose Soundlink was designed for the type of music files found on your iPod and the results are very impressive.

I suggest you try and find a retailer who will let you try the Sendstation device before buying it, if you can. That way, you'll be sure, because I don't have personal experience of the Sendstation.

Bluetooth Transmitter and Charger for iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.