Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power PC Apps no longer supported - TOPO maps

I have installed an older National Geographic Maps app, older version, to my iMac. It initially opened and I was able to upgrade to the latest version through the NG website, and that opened, but now when I try to open it I get the error message: "You can't open the application "TOPO" because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." Anything I can do to get around this? I'm working on OS X El Capitan with an iMac Retinat 5k.

Thanks

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Dec 26, 2015 9:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2015 10:02 AM

no

17 replies

Dec 26, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Barbara Smits

An "iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)" should have no trouble running the latest version of the National Geographic App, which is not a PPC application and is for OS X 10.6 and later.

So, the answer to your question is 'yes'. I believe that the cause of your error is probably that you have still got an old PPC version of 'Adobe AIR' installed on your machine and this needs to be updated to the current version because the National Geographic app needs to use it. Another possibility is that you are opening an old version of the NG application that is still on your machine.

C.

Dec 26, 2015 1:47 PM in response to Barbara Smits

As an additional thought: it may be that the installer and/or updater is actually the PPC app. I am running Final Cut Express; as it is universal, it runs fine on both Yosemite and El Capitan. However, I am unable to use the installer because it is (for some reason) PPC based. So, when I needed it, I was able to find every file in every location needed for FCE on my Snow Leopard partition (which allowed PPC apps) and copied it into the same locations on my Intel Mac. That worked.

So, at what point did/do you get the message about PPC apps? From the installer or the application itself? Also, check:

Apple > About this Mac > System Report > scroll down to Applications. Highlight the app and see if it says universal or PPC.

Dec 26, 2015 2:28 PM in response to babowa

Dear babowa,

The info under Systems Report doesn't indicate either universal or PPC.

It gives the version number:

Obtained from:

Kind: Intel

64-bit (Intel): No

The error message is coming after I click on the TOPO application to open it after it has been updated to the latest version from the NG website. This is an older version of TOPO maps, copyright 2006, but they are still offering an update from 3.0 to 4.6.4. which is what I'm running. This is what the installation info said when I reinstalled from the original disc -- I did check the box.

Intel-based Mac Users

TOPO! 4.2.5 now supports Intel-based Macs natively with an optional Universal binary. Universal binaries run faster than older Macintosh applications on Intel-based Macs.

To install the native components, you must click the Customize button during the Installation Type stage and then check the box to add Intel-based Mac Support.

Dec 26, 2015 2:54 PM in response to babowa

Dear babowa,

No -- "Intel" appears after Kind, not "Universal". However, I trashed another older version that was on my desktop, and now the application has opened, but I still don't know if it's working properly because I have to load the maps...we'll see. It also says that there is an update available, which I already have downloaded, so I will try to install the update and see if I get the error message again. I'll report in.

Dec 26, 2015 3:21 PM in response to Barbara Smits

Dear All,

I have reinstalled TOPO from the original disc, checked the box for Intel based Mac users, and now the app launches. However, when, and after I download and install the latest 4.5 update which is supposed to be the universal binary, then I get the error message "You can't open the application "TOPO" because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

So, I just won't use the update unless you can advise me on how to get it to work...perhaps the Adobe Air update is the problem?

Dec 26, 2015 4:25 PM in response to Barbara Smits

I'm not surprised it's about 10 years old. The TopoMac 4.5.4 updater does actually contain a universal binary, which launches and gets as far as asking for a serial number, but is about six years old itself. NG abandoned this product years ago and there is information about what replaced it on their website.

Anyway, this is no longer seems to be a question about Apple products and software so I'm off.

C.

Power PC Apps no longer supported - TOPO maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.