Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.5 Remote Install

Hi all,

I am still battling with trying to reinstall Mac OS x 10.5 onto my MacBook Air which does not have a CD drive.

I do however have the setup CDs (CD 1 and 2) and I noticed that the CDs can be used to install Mac OS X remotely which I thought was cool and possibly to good to be true.

It all starts off well, I insert CD 1 into the optical drive on my windows laptop, I then install the CD sharing utility, I then run the remote install wizard. I get as far as booting the Mac holding down the option key, selecting my wireless network, entering the wireless key, then I see the remote CD drive appear. I click it, the install beings and the wizard on the windows laptop displays "waiting for MacBook Air to start" during this time I hear the CD drive working hard therefore the Mac is connected to the drive remotely, however... the MacBook Air just sits on the screen with an Apple, the CD activity on the windows laptop stops and that's it, nothing else happens.

I read that it can take hours which is fine so I left it over night last night, came down this morning and yep its still in the same place.

Has anyone used this install method before? What am I missing? I bet its something really simple.

Any help would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 26, 2015 8:42 AM

1 reply

Mac OS X 10.5 Remote Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.