Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPU Problems/Screen Flickering - MacBook Pro Retina 15" - Mid 2015

Hi, I've recently obtained the "new" MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2015 model. Spec'd out completely processor, RAM and graphics-wise. It's a great machine for the two days I've been using it however I have noticed that I am having problems with the display flickering at some point when I'm working.

I am unsure as to how to re-product the issue and weather the problem lies with the fact that I downgraded to Yosemite instead of using El-Capitan as I use Logic Pro X and some of my plug-ins don't yet work with El-Capitan. I cannot afford/will not upgrade to El-Capitan because of this however I may have to take the computer back to Apple if this is a problem with the hardware. I am currently running Yosemite 10.10.5 with no software updates available for the machine at this time. I did restore the backup from my iMac to this machine for ease however I doubt that would cause any significant problems?

If anyone else has had any experiences with this problem and how they solved it please let me know. I got this computer from the student store and cannot afford to pay for this mac to get repaired if it is a problem that carries a repair charge. Apple's markup on these products is unbelievable and I view this machine as an investment. So far unfortunately, the first impressions aren't brilliant. I have no AppleCare and I again will not purchase it because I think it's a rip-off for what little benefit you seem to get. I remember Steve Jobs describing a product as "it just works" and "we don't ship junk". Unfortunately, his words are seemingly backfiring at the moment.. 😟

Many Thanks for reading.

Tom

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 15" Retina

Posted on Dec 26, 2015 3:19 PM

11 replies

Jan 14, 2016 8:42 PM in response to TomMagee

I might have the same thing as yours.

I bought my laptop back in October and I noticed a flickering that usually happens at the top of the screen.

I narrowed the issue down to graphics card switching and sadly I had no choice but to either return the machine or live with it.

You can reproduce the problem by going to your "energy saver" in system preferences. There, click off "Automatic Graphics Switching" then wait a second and click back on to the integrated card. This will reproduce the flicker in the machines. NOTE this only happens when you make the resolution higher than default. (1680 or 1920) It won't happen in default mode.

I returned my machine once, only to have it happen again on the second one. I then went back and talked to the sales associates. They pulled out another fresh machine and booted it up and I was able to reproduce the issue again.

I was basically told that they thought it was a power issue where the discrete card would pull more power, thus causing the flicker. There was no solution. I had to accept or return the machine.

Note, this is only in MBPs with two video cards and from what I can tell, the 2015 models. I even ruined a friend's day in Austrailia when he tested his machine and found the flicker at the higher resolution.

This is something that Apple "should" fix but I don't know if they will. I have been running the machine with the discrete card only while plugged into power and just dealing with it when not.

I might bring it up to a Genius bar again in a year in hopes that the issue has been resolved.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Bryan

Jan 16, 2016 3:03 PM in response to Bobcatou

Hi Bryan,

It's a real shame that these problems are occurring on these machines. Traditionally, buying a new Mac was meant to be an enjoyable experience. Unfortunately, in 2015 and of the more recent Macs where everything is soldered to the motherboard, it seems to just cause heartache.

I can't fault the machine other than these problems however it's terribly annoying that this seems to cause an issue. I also own a MacBook Pro 17" Antiglare and it had graphics problems. I believe last year they issued a recall for them and promised to fix it or replace the logic board in them. (I had the 2011 model, so a full three years later they decided on it). I'm prepared to accept it as fate that this problem isn't going to be fixed for a while. I just hope that it's not doing any sort of damage on the hardware with the flickering screen, I know these machines are notebooks and designed to switch between the two but any abnormalities in Apple Products is generally a warning sign. I'll try your solution to keeping the dedicated graphics running full time. Luckily for me as soon as anything I do gets CPU intensive, the dedicated GPU seems to kick in whilst I'm working inside of Logic.

If you do happen to get any update or make any progress with this please let me know. I will continue to do my research and I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones experiencing this.

Thanks for your reply.

Best wishes,

Tom.

Jan 16, 2016 5:43 PM in response to TomMagee

As far as I can tell, this happens to all 2015 Macbook Pro's with the higher end video card that does switching. As I said, There were 3 in a row I found and my friend with the fourth machine in Austrialia had it happen so that was most definitely from a different lot.

I owned a 2011 MBP with the video card issue. I had my logic board replaced 3..maybe 4 times. I lost count. Never had to pay for the replacement because I was in warranty with my Apple Care (which I purchased) and then under the "official recall" which I believe is over now.

Post Jobs, I feel quality and care really has gone downhill. Their employees don't seem to be that knowledgable either when I have questions.

I use to not mind paying a premium price for a laptop because I felt I was getting a premium product. I no longer feel that way sadly. I mean dropping $2500 for a new Macbook Pro and having video flickers right out of the box is bad quality control. I guess maybe design control because that bug should of be tested out.

I'm hoping a firrmware fix comes out...even a recall bur I am not holding my breath.

Jan 23, 2016 10:04 AM in response to Bobcatou

Hi again Bryan.

I've attempted to disable the "Automatic Graphics Switching" option that was within System Preferences. For the most part, this seems to fix my problem apart from the obvious decrease in battery life.

I'm annoyed equally that, as you said that what was once an investment and has turned into a financial burden with possibly more money having to be invested in this machine if anything was to go wrong with the unit and it needed a logic board replacement or anything similar.

I should have got my MBP 17" looked at before the recall ended. I believe it may be an eBay job and replace it with something smaller (i.e. an iPad or something similar) as I don't want a more expensive financial year if anything was to go wrong with both laptops.

I agree with you with what you said about post Jobs. Steve lived and breathed the company. Somehow I don't think that quite a few of their new products would have made it onto the production line. Some may call it innovation however I think there's a cut-off point to where innovation becomes stupidity. Letting these machines go into the market like this was a bad step for the company especially as they are marketed as "pro" products rather as an alternative to their regular "MacBook" line that's been re-introduced. It seems they may adapt the same initiative as what they did with the Mac Pro. Leave it for a few years before trying to re-invent the wheel. I wouldn't mind this actually, IF the product actually worked.

I, like you will try and hold out for a firmware fix for these machines. Apple hasn't even formally identified that "Bendgate" was a problem last year. They may adapt the initiative to brush it under the carpet while silently updating the MacBooks again with this fix refined.

Best wishes,

Tom.

May 3, 2016 6:17 AM in response to TomMagee

This is a huge problem.

Firstly there's at least a workaround so that you can barely use the machine ... https://gfx.io

With that little bit of software, you can properly select ONLY the cheap iris integrated video card, and it will at least work. That software will stop it trying to switch to the fancy video card.

(Apple's own selector switch for doing so, in preferences, is utterly useless - don't even bother.)

I have a Mid-2015 Retina MacBook Pro (2.5 ghz core i7, 16gb, the 1536 Iris)

it has exactly this problem. The local Apple shop kindly completely swapped the whole motherboard but bizarrely the problem remains.

It's just "one of those Apple things". All you can do is: every single time you buy an apple laptop, tell them outright that you're fully aware of the video card switching problems, and you must see it tested before you leave the store with it.

May 15, 2016 2:34 AM in response to TomMagee

I have a late 2013 rMBP with the 750m. I have had this issue for ages. The computer didn't have the issue for the first year. But now I can't have it set to dynamic switching. Certain websites cause the computer to switch back and force often, and the screen flicker is annoying. I thought to have apple fix it, but I can't really be without a computer for a week. It's my work machine, and I can't take a week off work. I thought about buying a used, newer model, and selling this one, but from reading these posts it seems a widespread issue. I guess I'll just live with it. I do use gfx. I usually just set the graphics to the 750m unless I need the battery. Not a really difficult problem to address. But I sometimes worry it'll get worse and the computer will just die.

May 28, 2016 8:13 AM in response to John-Paul May

I think it is a design flaw seeing that they opened up another notebook in front of me and the flicker happened on it. This after I already returned the MBP once.

My plan is to use the discrete card exclusively so there is no switching, then in about a year from purchase, go in and show them the issue again and try to get the board replaced in hopes that they have done a revision that fixes the problem. I have AppleCare so I have 3 years on this thing.

Still feel this is very "weak" on Apple's part.

May 28, 2016 8:36 AM in response to Bobcatou

That's an excellent idea, Bobcatou.

Apple have a policy they have used many times over the years: they know if there's a problem like this they can just "wait it out" and it's very unlikely they will suffer a class action lawsuit. They know they can play the numbers. Say there's been 20 classic "Apple disasters" like this where they totally screw customers, because of hardware flaws. Apple know that there will only be a class action in one or two of those situations. So they just "wait it out" a couple of years, knowing that very likely there is no downside. So there's no reason for Apple to attempt a fix.

Apple's simple policy is to never, ever admit there is a problem.

They know there's very little chance of a lawsuit, so, "Apple wins". "Customer loses" - "Apple wins".

This is Apple's standard mode of operation in these cases: it happens over and over again.

I like your approach of hoping there is a revision within a year or so, it's a good idea. Let's hope it works out.

Don't forget "gfxCardStatus" is very handy, it's free too. It's the only way to really see what's happening with the cards, and force the machine to use integrated. Indeed if it wasn't for that piece of freeware this $3000 mbp would be a paperweight.

Oct 22, 2016 3:02 AM in response to TomMagee

I keep having this issue too in my Mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro. It started as soon as the 14 day period where your can return the product passed and I wasn't able to return it. I've been to the Genius Bar at least twice and talked on the phone to two senior advisor over the phone and the only answer they give me is that it is a software problem. They managed to get a workaround setting up a root user and deleting the preferences from the library forcing the Mac to create new one without having to reinstall the whole operating system but it happened again after a week. And on top of that, yesterday my screen went all stripy with vertical purple and blue lines covering it and had to do a force restart as the computer was frozen. I call them up again and they insist that its one of my applications causing issues with my machine, but I have exactly the same applications installed in this machine as in my previous MacBook Pro 13" mid-2010 and I have never had issues of this kind of my previous machine. It is specially odd as I transferred all my data and apps from a time machine backup of my previous computer.

It look like they are trying to push this issue past the 1 year limited warranty so I can't do anything without having to pay beforehand, which is very cheeky considering I payed 2000€+ for this machine. I'm almost a 100% that is a hardware issue and not software as it happens exclusively with this card switching machine and not the single card ones. Having the computer freeze in a blue and purple screen is obviously not normal behaviour.

GPU Problems/Screen Flickering - MacBook Pro Retina 15" - Mid 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.