Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Completing old project in latest version of Final Cut...

Hi,

I just bought a new 2015 iMac and was unable to load my old Final Cut Express (4.0.1) on it.

All of the files relating to the project are on my new computer and haven't been moved from their

original locations.

My question is, if I purchase the latest version of Final Cut, will it open the project without issue?

Thank you very much for reading and hopefully providing an answer. 🙂

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 26, 2015 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2015 5:57 AM

Riku75 wrote:

My question is, if I purchase the latest version of Final Cut, will it open the project without issue?

🙂

Sorry, but that won't work.

Final Cut Pro X is an entirely different program than FCE – or FCP 7 and earlier versions. FCP 7 projects can be opened by a third party application, 7toX and then imported into FC P X.. As an experiment, I have successfully tested a workflow of FCE > FCP 7 > 7toX > FCP X. but you need a functioning version of the legacy Final Cut Pro is order to accomplish it. That. of course, would be considered cost-prohibitive by most of us. If continuing to work on this project means a great deal to you, I would try to get access to any older Mac that would support the installation of FCE.

Of course, if you have a copy of any movie that you exported from that project, you could always import that movie file into FCP X as a clip and use that in a new project. There is a trial version of the app available for you to test and see whether you like it.

Good luck.

Russ

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2015 5:57 AM in response to Riku75

Riku75 wrote:

🙂

Sorry, but that won't work.

Final Cut Pro X is an entirely different program than FCE – or FCP 7 and earlier versions. FCP 7 projects can be opened by a third party application, 7toX and then imported into FC P X.. As an experiment, I have successfully tested a workflow of FCE > FCP 7 > 7toX > FCP X. but you need a functioning version of the legacy Final Cut Pro is order to accomplish it. That. of course, would be considered cost-prohibitive by most of us. If continuing to work on this project means a great deal to you, I would try to get access to any older Mac that would support the installation of FCE.

Of course, if you have a copy of any movie that you exported from that project, you could always import that movie file into FCP X as a clip and use that in a new project. There is a trial version of the app available for you to test and see whether you like it.

Good luck.

Russ

Completing old project in latest version of Final Cut...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.