Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can you Delete photo library on mac without deleting from icloud photo library

I want to delete my photo library to make room on my mac. It's taking up a huge amount of space. I'm able to do it on the iphone pretty easily, but i can't figure out how to do it on my mac. Thanks.

Macbook Pro 17 inch 2.3 ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 27, 2015 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2015 6:12 AM

Do you want to stop using Photos completely? Then do this:

• Quit Photos,
  • make a backup copy of your Photos Library on an external drive,
  • then move the Photos Library.photoslibrary to the Trash and empty the Trash.

By default your Photos Library.photoslibrary will be in your Pictures folder.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library, you should wait for the upload of your photos to iClod to finish, before you delete the Photos Library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2015 6:12 AM in response to wonslung

Do you want to stop using Photos completely? Then do this:

• Quit Photos,
  • make a backup copy of your Photos Library on an external drive,
  • then move the Photos Library.photoslibrary to the Trash and empty the Trash.

By default your Photos Library.photoslibrary will be in your Pictures folder.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library, you should wait for the upload of your photos to iClod to finish, before you delete the Photos Library.

Dec 27, 2015 7:53 AM in response to wonslung

If you are using iCLoud Photo Library as you state then you can not - every change made on any device is made on all devices - the ICPL solution for limited space is to use optimized photos on the device with limited space

And of course you do not have to us ICPL if it does not do what you want

and If you are using ICPL you need to update your profile as you state there that you have OS X 10.6.7 which is not possible

LN

Dec 27, 2015 8:09 AM in response to léonie

Added: After you delete the Photos Library from your Mac you can only access the photos in iCloud using the web interface and the Photos.app on the www.icloud.com page. You cannot access iCloud Photo Library using Photos on your Mac, unless you make a photos library on an external drive your System Photos Library. As long as iCloud Photo Library is enabled on your Mac the photos will download again.

To avoid having a large Photos Library on your Mac

• either use a library on an external drive with Photos and iCloud Photo Library
  • or use a small Photos Library on your internal drive without iCloud Photos Library enabled and use the web interface to access your Photos in iCloud
  • or disable iCloud Photo Library completely on your Mac and use only the web interface to iCloud Photo Library.

how can you Delete photo library on mac without deleting from icloud photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.